• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 Civil Defence / ARP Battledress & Trousers

London Cabbie

Does anyone own Battle Dress Trousers. What are they like? who does the best reproduction and can I get dark blue ARP from anywhere..? I would like a dark pair with adjustable hem. Any pointers would be appreciated
7789EC16-BDD1-4738-83A0-7D0836D76DCE.jpeg

jack31916

I have worn wool BD trousers during reenactment event and such. The trousers are itchy, heavy, awkward when wet â nd actually need to be worn with suspenders for they have a generous cut. Once you get used to them they are OK. Don't know if there are repro ARP trousers on the market but if so then most probably at SOF Military. The Royal Navy wore similar trousers (No.5 Working Dress) but lack the map- and first aid pocket. Trousers are also of a generous cut.

Wool trousers are difficult to dye yourself but you can give it a try with Dylon etc.

A better option might be a pair of cotton denims. These are more comfy to wear and available from WPG and SOF. Easy to dye in a dar blue colour as well.

Ofcourse you can look on Ebay for (mint or unworn ) originals.

Regards,

Yockers

I wear wool BD when I'm reenacting, when they are new they can itch a bit, but a few hand washes with something like Woolite will soften them, also an old trick is to shave the inside of the trousers with a razor, remember the cut of the trousers waist is measured around the widest part of your belly just under your rib cage on the correct style, some modern reproductions are cut slightly different and the waist is lower. Khaki-on-campaign ( Dickie knight) is the only guy in the UK that that makes ARP uniforms to your measurements, his work is top notch for quality and accuracy, he has a long waiting list but a lot better than off the peg for accuracy if you can wait, I've got a few bits of WW1 kit from him, check out his website.

London Cabbie

@Micawber thankyou I am not on FB. @Yockers Thankyou Sir been on his website, top quality gear.
I only came on this forum for info about an A2, several jackets later and I’m entering the realm of ARP Re-enactments…:oops: Haha.:D

Yockers

@London Cabbie no worries fella, happy to help, I've been reenacting for years and collecting mainly WW2 kit and the odd vehicle , always hankered after an A2 but knew diddly squat about the finer details, joined this forum and learnt so much from the knowledgeable folks here, ended up with an Aero 42-15142-P from Aero Scotland and an B10 from 5*

I'm pretty sure there are ARP reenacting groups out there, check out Military Odyssey show in Detling, Capel show is another, I'm with 43rd Recce group, it's great fun and evil Bay is a source for ARP memorabilia, sky's the limit. Get yourself a nice period motor bike and your away.

Micawber

Yes plenty of ARP re-enactors out there. I've got into collecting Home Front helmets, the type of thing that you couldn't give away until a few years ago but now command enough money to make them worth while targets for fakers.

Yockers

@Micawber , tell me about it.. I've picked up 4 dispatch rider helmets over the years for sensible money, and now they are going for stupid money, same for original battledress , as for original German kit.. check out Regimentals website ..stratospheric

London Cabbie

Lovely Thankyou. I’m trying to reign in my military collection but every time I come on here something new pops up…

Micawber

@Micawber , tell me about it.. I've picked up 4 dispatch rider helmets over the years for sensible money, and now they are going for stupid money, same for original battledress , as for original German kit.. check out Regimentals website ..stratospheric

AFS, NFS, CD, HG etc etc has picked up no end just in the last few years. Helmets like these were considered just so much junk and could be picked up for nothing or pennies when I started collecting as a kid (now in my 60's). TR has always been the focus of the money, relatively speaking, followed by US in latter years but WW2 British has now gone, or is going through the roof too. It is when 'surplus' becomes collectors items and something people are prepared to be competitive in acquiring that means things accrue monetary value...

IMG_20210909_144333_210~2_resize_42.jpg