• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 bomb blows corn field in Halbach, Germany, Monday, June 24, 2019.

B-Man2

Interesting story. Now I’m wondering how far that field was from the nearest railroad terminals or storage yards. I was watching a documentary last night called “ Bomber Boys” . One of the points that was made was that statistically British bombers were often off target by 1 to 5 miles. I don’t know if that’s an accurate statistic but even if it’s close to being accurate, there were a lot of stray bombs dropping around Europe in WWII. Factor in the amount of ordnance dropped by US bombers and that’s a shit load of bombs.
Factor in the known percentage of duds and that means that these things are all over the European country sides and cities.

Edward

very scary stuff. to have something that big buried that deep go off 75 year later.... I'm certain there are more... many more. just hope no one gets hurt or killed.

B-Man2

very scary stuff. to have something that big buried that deep go off 75 year later.... I'm certain there are more... many more. just hope no one gets hurt or killed.
Funny how after 75 years this thing one day just happens, for no particular reason to get pissed off and detonate.

Stony

Most European countries have dedicated bombs squads for exactly this scenario. The German team(s) are probably already on site.

Officer Dibley

Interesting story. Now I’m wondering how far that field was from the nearest railroad terminals or storage yards. I was watching a documentary last night called “ Bomber Boys” . One of the points that was made was that statistically British bombers were often off target by 1 to 5 miles. I don’t know if that’s an accurate statistic but even if it’s close to being accurate, there were a lot of stray bombs dropping around Europe in WWII. Factor in the amount of ordnance dropped by US bombers and that’s a shit load of bombs.
Factor in the known percentage of duds and that means that these things are all over the European country sides and cities.

Of course Burt, the USAAF always got a bullseye. Just like the DC-3 pilots on D-Day always dropped their paras on the DZ ;)

Of course they were difficult jobs... i think the best bombing raids were Amiens prison (interesting controversial theory on that), Dambusters and Tibbetts bomb over Hiroshima.

B-Man2

Amiens prison was one of the most interesting that I’ve read about . Mosquito bombers using low level bombing to free French Resistance fighters. An intriguing story.