• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW11 U.S. Officers Cap device.

Steve27752

I have this 2 1/2" x 2 3/4"officers cap device. The back is marked 'Acid Test' and there is no maker. I thought they were made from brass?. However the horizontal bars at the top of the shield appear to be more of a silvery hue which maybe due to polishing. I have not noticed this on other eagles before. Is this usual?
IMG_0236.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG

foster

Looks like a nice original to me. Gilt plated brass, but of course with brass being soft, the wear to the high spots of the design will cause the plating to wear away and expose the brass.

Steve27752

Right, the cap device in my original post with the lighter horizontal stripes at the top of the shield was bothering my slight ocd traits.
I have now polished the whole device with Autosol and then polished with it again with Brasso.
It's on my cap it has a more even hue and looks a lot better.
I will now put the cap away and leave the device to tarnish again.
IMG_0270.JPG

ausreenactor

Looks sharp!

I have a ripper on my DD Crusher. I was watching a KG Luke 'large' size visor eagle for years. Not sure if it is still on eBay.. You may have just prompted me to find it again and grab it..

Thanks much.

Steve27752

Looks sharp!

I have a ripper on my DD Crusher. I was watching a KG Luke 'large' size visor eagle for years. Not sure if it is still on eBay.. You may have just prompted me to find it again and grab it..

Thanks much.
If you can find it again go for it. Feel free to post pics of your DD 'Crusher'.