• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW1 M/C Question

John Lever

This is a photo taken in France in 1916 of my Grandfather who was a dispatch rider[ motor pool].
Can anyone identify the type of motorbike ?
Thanks,
scan0031-2.jpg

These are the ' Baddies ' my wife's great grand father, next to a Gulasch Cannonie.
GreatGD.jpg

oose

Looks like one of these to me...1915 - 550 cc Triumph model H motorcyle. but I'm no expert!

All the best
stu

oose

No Problem, My Great Grandfather was an aircraft Sgt fitter for No.60 squadron Billy Bishop, Albert Ball etc, what stories he must have had!

All the best
stu

John Lever

The second photo is my wife's great grandfather. Her grandfather was also fighting at the same time, and they met in the trenches purely by chance. Both survived.

oose

Is that the Austro-Hungarian Empire Army? My Wife is Czech, so her family was on the other side to, all my pictures are with my mother and my wife photo are in Czech, the only shot I have is Ilona Grandfather(sitting with the case) in 1932, all in costume for the villiage play I like to think there all wearing their fathers uniforms!

I still have her great-grandfather WW1 water bottle, how many cold trenches it must have seen!

Where was you Grandfather, in France, Italy?

All the best
stu

John Lever

Hi Stu,
He was in France, the Somme I think.
The other half were in the Austrian army and were from Vienna.
Funny thing is though that in WW2 the Czech part of my wife's family were in the RAF bombing German ships and subs. One of them is buried up near Barrow in Furness. The remaining half were driving tanks fighting the Russians and some were sheltering Jews in Vienna.
Funny world....