• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW 1 GERMAN CAVALRY BELT BUCKLE CIRCA 1900

Bombing IP

Alway wanted one of these simple buckle arrangement belt width 1 5/8" found one in Belarus it had obviously been dug up . The buckle is made of cast brass with a brass tube and metal pin .

BELT2.jpg
BELT 4.jpg
BELT 3.jpg

Well if you know German military belts they have a hook to go through the loop in the buckle and a double layer of belt toward the opposite end with one of the layers having double parallel holes for waist adjustment . To adjust there are a set of double spikes which are attached to the buckle . Well this part is missing and the pin and the brass tube cannot be saved ,so over the next week or so I am going to restore this to use . I have already purchased the leather from a company in Germany it is antique brown .

Here is a link to an auction site who has original photographed so you can see what it should look like .

BIP

Last edited:

stanier

fascinating stuff. If only it could talk and tell it's history and who owned it originally and how it came to be buried in Belorus. 20th century eastern European history in such a small simple item

B-Man2

Can’t envision it would you happen to have a picture of it with a belt attached?
Cheers

Bombing IP

Here is the leather I bought from Germany antique brown .The Belt was issued to the cavalry in both black and brown and was known back then as a type 7 Belt & Buckle .

DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG

BIP

Bombing IP

Here is where I am at now with the buckle .
Bought brass tubing 3/16" od and 1/8" brass rod made a new pin out of a nail .
Hand cleaned the buckle so it would take the solder .

Here are some pictures
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG

I will post more when I get more done .

BIP

Bombing IP

Thanks Pilot never could find pictures of actual cavalry men wearing them only auction sites selling them .

Thanks again
BIP

Bombing IP

Here is where I found it to buy
eBay item number:

WW1, Germany, German rider belt buckle  eBay - Google Chrome 7192019 33337 PM.bmp.jpg

(This was the description from the seller)

The objects were found with a metal detector on the combat positions of German troops, during the First world war looked at the state of the elements for a long time lying in the ground. 100% authentic artifacts. lifetime guarantee of authenticity
We ship worldwide.
Item will be shipped out within 2-3 days after payment received.
The goods (can be several) are sent by registered mail
terms of sale:
Payment must be made within 3 working days after your order.

All items listed are genuine and original.

You can find lots of thing on eBay with little or no competition because people leave out key words or do not spell correctly .Cavalry belt buckles are rare and this would of fetched more money if the seller would of put cavalry in the title . Another example Nikon lenses are made by Nikkor but many times people spell it Nikor ,then their listing gets no traffic because no one sees it . Consequently if you can find it it can be had for a great price if its listed in auction with a low start price not buy it now . I posted this in case anyone was wondering how it got from Belarus to New York .

BIP

Last edited:

Bombing IP

Quiz /
Famous personality who wore a German military belt and buckle most of his life ,he was not German he was American ?.

any guesses.

BIP

Last edited: