• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTF !!!

Officer Dibley

Apart from making the wearer appear incredibly vain & image obsessed, who the heck would stump up this kind of money for these boots ?

17494FC0-2A53-4CE5-AAB9-788E9ECE2257.png

MikeyB-17

It does appear that John Loefgren is now able to charge whatever he likes and people will pay it-I’m sure that’s what ELC also have their eye on. The Tanker Boots don’t do much for me either.

917_k

Pretty pricey for sure, but if they’ve got customers who are happy to pay that and in turn it keeps Eastman in business, employing people and paying their taxes here in the U.K. then I’m not going to complain.

Like any product, you’ve got plenty of choice at different price points and some products attract a premium, for myriad reasons, including intangibles such as perceived luxury and desirability. Eastman obviously position themselves now as more of a ‘Gucci’ for Americana denim heads, and i don’t necessarily see anything wrong with that. They don’t owe anything to the supposed ‘original enthusiasts’ and must have decided that market isn’t lucrative enough anyway (I’d say they’re possibly right on that). Personally I wouldn’t pay that for a pair of their boots, but I don’t really understand the flak that Eastman seem to get on this forum.

P.s. if you want to see genuinely stupid overpriced crap aimed at the Americana market, check out the RRL ‘paint splatter’ range...

Last edited:

B-Man2

I think much of it stems from a perception, real or imagined, that ELC is greedy and doesn’t mind sticking it to their customer base who was loyal to them and got them to where they are today. Three price increases over a period of about 2 years goes a long way in fostering that perception . I’ve owned ELC jackets for years , some I’ve purchased new and some previously owned . I’ve always been a fan of their jackets but while their prices are commensurate with GW prices, I don’t consider them on par with a GW . Of course this is just my opinion and I’m sure others would take issue with that statement .
These days I would not consider purchasing a new ELC jacket, because I don’t think they are worth the cost and would rather put that money down on a GW which I feel is a superior jacket to an ELC . Simply look at the resale value of a GW compared to that of a similarly price ELC when both were new and I think that will back me up . Once again just my opinion . Thanks for viewing it .

ausreenactor

Slaves tend to dismiss 'crypto' and pay brokers to buy and sell the shares.....

Buy and hold...

If you put $1 into Dogecoin three months ago you would have $3600 now! $100.... $360,000! Nerds are making a killing now that South Korean financial firms are investing...

stanier

I have a pair of Lofgren engineer boots and love 'em. I didnt get them from ELC but they were in the region of the price for the tankers. They are a world away from the cheap engineers and the same can be said for the Lofgren tankers and the cheapo $150 tankers above on a casual look. We all earn our money and spend it how we wish on our hobbies if we're lucky enough. This thread should be renamed "an ode to the wife"! ;)