• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB MA1 XL

Ian C

Dear all,

If anyone has such a beast, I would like to buy an XL MA1 with a back length of around 27 in if such a thing exists? I've been told the later ones are a bit longer but I wouldn't know for certain.

Thanks,

Ian

Ian C

I forgot to add that I wouldn't mind one of the Alpha repros that had the roundel on the sleeve. I've bought the latest 68 replica and it fits but it isn't right. It's well made but the sleeves are way too skinny.

Its getting to the point where I'll just buy a decent condition later Alpha and take it to bits and put a wool lining in it. As far as I can see its what stops the modern Alphas being any good. I don't believe that old guff that the polyester was warmer either. My guess it was cheaper but I'd happily pay more for the heavier and warmer wool.

Thanks,

Ian

Clark J

Wow good luck with that!!I just measured my '69 MA-1 and it was around 24 including both knits!

Willy McCoy

'59 XL 24" from top of top knit to bottom of bottom knit. There is the long sized William Gibson black MA-1 that would meet your challenge. It just won't be mil. spec.

Ian C

I think I'll go with the William Gibson in a black if they still do them. Now the question is do I go for the XL or XXL?

Ian

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Ian C said:
I think I'll go with the William Gibson in a black if they still do them. Now the question is do I go for the XL or XXL?

... and the original full cut, or the slim?

Ian C

deeb7 said:
Ian C said:

... and the original full cut, or the slim?

Definitely the full cut these days. I was like a knitting needle right up until my twenties and now I'm 16 1/2 stone.

Ian C

Where's the best place to buy a William Gibson MA1 in a long length then? Eastman seem to be out of stock of everything and History Preservation don't mention the long. Is there any way of ordering direct?
BTW, does anyone know how you order the raw materials (nylon) or if it's at all possible. It's beginning to wind me up now and I'll end up getting the sodding thing made myself :D
Ian

watchmanjimg

Willy McCoy said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-USAF-1973-NOMEX-CWU-FLIGHT-COAT-JACKET-MENS-LARGE-/110758649138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c9badd32

Every bit as much character as an MA-1 but tougher and complete with orange emergency signal still there! Rarer than hens teeth in this condition. It has the length you're looking for too.

To each his own, but these are surprising remarks coming from a collector of your caliber. :eek:

While I'm not arguing or criticizing your position, it seems odd you'd think that any CWU could match the orange-lined or earlier MA-1s for character or durability. While undoubtedly superior to nylon in a fire, in my view the modern Nomex jackets lack the cachet of having served through the early years of the Jet Age as well as the Vietnam period. Aside from the CWU's dorky collar, lack of handwarmer entry for the pockets, and irregular fit the purpose-built Nomex exterior snags and stains easily, the stitching is weak, and both the lining and knits are pill-prone. For my money the Army CVC and helicopter jackets are more durable, albeit somewhat lacking in colorfastness when subjected to sunlight and repeated laundering. Plus, we civilians can stick our hands in the pockets. :lol:

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I have a fair number of CWUs in my collection ranging from the earliest to recent versions and the one you referenced is an excellent example that generated a price commensurate with its rarity and condition. Greyhound52 currently owns a comparable pre-CWU I once had in my stable, but then I have his minty bi-swing -36. :D

I also agree that the CWU offers noticeably more body length than the earlier nylon jackets, although for me the ideal CWU fit would range somewhere between a Medium and Large so they don't work as well as some MA-1 and L-2B contracts although they're never too short.

Again, with all the exotic jackets you've had I was stunned to learn of your preference for the CWU but I recognize this is purely a matter of opinion.

rich

Jim, you forgot to mention Nomex creases like a ******* too. (Thanks for your tip from an earlier thread by the way, I've yet to try it........ I'll do a before and after photo)
For some reason, I've found these jackets difficult to find in the UK, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places...........

Willy McCoy

I often surprise my self fellas. I have to agree with you about the considerations of vintage Mil. Spec. nylon jackets.

The main reason I suggested this ex-fine CWU 45/P was because the original post stated a need for a longer bodied MA-1 and was not too caught up with an actual 50's - 60's offerings (a modern Alpha was on his list). Y'all have to admit that the CWU I linked up was a very rare first series and complete right down to the Indian orange signal cloth.

The only weak stitching I've noticed is the CWU's made by Isratex. The government eventually sued them and stopped contract production. The Nomex nylon that I have seems thicker and less prone to abrasion.

Yes, I have many nylon jackets and I regard them highly. CWU's are a step below what I usual speculate on but I do like my 36/P's.

I always liked the length of the vintage nylon flight jackets. Great to wear with selvedge denim and a studded belt. Would be a shame to cover up the "hair on hide" patch on selvedge Lee Cowboys.