• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you purchase this Aero size 46 for 500.00?

ButteMT61

Two sizes bigger and I'd buy it, find a tailor, and wear it. No matter what we do to get a jacket that looks vintage, I simply think an authentic jacket would feel great to wear, in spite of not being perfect.

Peter Graham

Roughwear said:
I agree with Butte here. The jacket can easily be restored and worn or sold on.
We'll agree to differ then. How do you figure that it's an easy restoration ? Are original Aero labels for that contract easy to come by, not to mention an original Talon zipper. Slightly easier to find perhaps. How can the holes in the leather be repaired apart from sewing them up and what about replacing the liner and the potential red rot on the collar fold and shoulder ? For me, the original label is the heart of the jacket and I'd never consider buying a jacket without one unless it's a real steal and this one is not. I'm well aware that larger sized A-2's are a lot more valuable but even if this jacket fitted me I would be reluctant to pay even $150 for it.

RCSignals

Looking at the leather I think there are some drying/cracking issues that need close evaluation, and wouldn't doubt it has fairly major thread rot.
The jacket might be restoreable for wearing but as I already said I think it needs a major rebuild which would include complete renewing (thread rot). That isn't an easy task to do properly.

Roughwear

Peter, original zips can easily be obtained. Clearly the the jacket would need to be examined careful and then the restoration work could be planned. I have bought jackets in a worse state than this and got them restored to decent wearable A2s.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter is right, and well said ... the original label is the heart of the jacket.

Fix it up as much as you like, it's still an orphan.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Peter is right, and well said ... the original label is the heart of the jacket.

Fix it up as much as you like, it's still an orphan.

Without an original label the value of an A2 is about a third less than with one.

The original question was whether anyone would purchase this jacket for $500. I said yes and no doubt it will go for more than this when the auction closes. Peter disagreed, which is fine. I pointed out that it can be restored to wearable condition. I certainly did not mention inserting a label which would be nice, but is not strictly necessary to wear or display this poor orphan jacket!

ButteMT61

Agreed Andrew. I said I'd buy it to fix and wear it. I would, if it fit me. That is totally different than wanting to buy a museum piece or "investment" piece. This is in fact to me, the perfect jacket for buying/fixing/wearing. I'd feel less likely to do that with a jacket I spent a ton on and was totally intact and rare.

Roughwear

Precisely Scott and restored it would make someone a nice wearer. I certainly do not wear my original A2s on a regular basis, really only to air shows in the summer.