• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you pull the trigger on this one?

B-Man2

I think I'd want to know a little bit more about where it was made, who made it, and then see if anyone here owned one at some point.
It would not be good to buy one and then have the sheepskin start to fall out because of bad tanning, or the leather to be cheap stuff that couldn't support the weight of the jacket when you put it on a hook or hanger. Just my opinion.

Spitfireace

maybe five star. Looks like five star here. Not bad. I like the five star b-6 not bad. I hate the crappy zippers that everybody has. All of them are crappy china copies. The only real ones ae from MASH Japan.

stanier

Look at that furry skirt around the bottom! It's as big as the collar! Is the jacket really orange and black?

1600680414832.png

Last edited:

stanier

I'd suggest that if you're worried about the difference between a repro Talon and MASH real one, I find it difficult to believe you'd be happy with a Five Star B-3 compared to a high end maker B-3. I'm sorry, and don't mean to offend but I honestly don't get the Five Star fandom we seem to have, that seems largely price driven. With a few exceptions admitted, they all seem to have something about them that says Five Star jacket. Maybe "for the money" is appropriate. But sorry, not a fan.

ausreenactor

I'd suggest that if you're worried about the difference between a repro Talon and MASH real one, I find it difficult to believe you'd be happy with a Five Star B-3 compared to a high end maker B-3. I'm sorry, and don't mean to offend but I honestly don't get the Five Star fandom we seem to have, that seems largely price driven. With a few exceptions admitted, they all seem to have something about them that says Five Star jacket. Maybe "for the money" is appropriate. But sorry, not a fan.

Spending early is spending twice...

elfraty

You know, Shawn will do what you want. It would not be hard to pay MASH to send him a zipper. You might have to pay the customs fees, but even with all that, it would still be a pretty cost-effective way to get a B-3 with the zipper you want.
I just found this forum. And I already knowI have reached the right place. Flight Jackets Dedication Land. A curious question: who is this Shawn person you are referring to?

mulceber

Welcome to the board, elfraty. Shawn is the proprietor of Five Star Leather, a producers of reproduction flight jackets who frequents this board.

Spitfireace

No, you are right, I'm not really a fan of the "overseas" jackets with the exception of Japanese ones. I was just pointing out another possibility that is similar to 5 star. He doesn't have a monopoly on these types of budget jackets. I asked this seller if he does custom orders as I don't fit the off the rack sizes, and he says he does. So if one didn't like the overly fluffy waist, he'd probably tone it down. That being said, I'm too picky for budget repros. If it isn't an original it has to be as close to it as possible.

MaydayWei

No, you are right, I'm not really a fan of the "overseas" jackets with the exception of Japanese ones. I was just pointing out another possibility that is similar to 5 star. He doesn't have a monopoly on these types of budget jackets. I asked this seller if he does custom orders as I don't fit the off the rack sizes, and he says he does. So if one didn't like the overly fluffy waist, he'd probably tone it down. That being said, I'm too picky for budget repros. If it isn't an original it has to be as close to it as possible.

If you're really into the details, then I'd advise against going for it; regardless of the customisations available.
Likelihood is that not having an original or an absolutely faithful repro would drive you mad. I know it would drive me mad!
Drawing from my limited experience, chances are that you'll just obsess over the imperfections and you just wouldn't want to wear it; especially, if it is in competition with your other originals or accurate repros.
I'm not sure where I read this on the VLJ, but they are wise words worth repeating - somewhere along the lines of 'he who spends first, spends twice.'