• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

would this work?

Tim P

my XL Long L2-a flight suit came on monday from ebay. great condition but has been washed by some dufus and now would fit a short wide-ish person.
so...
If I soaked it in tepid water, hung it from a couple of strong hangers and attached heavy (20lb) weights to each of the ankles, would it stretch back or is shrunken wool shrunken wool forever?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
If I soaked it in tepid water, hung it from a couple of strong hangers and attached heavy (20lb) weights to each of the ankles, would it stretch back or is shrunken wool shrunken wool forever?

It may be permanent, but if you want to try stretching it, the weights would be too drastic. Forcefully stretching shrunken wools can weaken and damage the fibres.

After the soaking, you could try just pulling it back into shape ... borax dissolved in the water is supposed to help.

Tim P

I tried this on, something I had not attempted thus far due to its obvious size.

It about cut me in half especially around the genlemans parts and looked obscene. the legs came just above mid shin. Width wise, not too bad but a little snug. :cry:
a short cold soak was followed by full strength gradual pulling of the material in all drections, stood on the inside shoulders and heaving the ankles, arms put over the top of the door and pulled. finished off putting it on , naked and wet in the garage in december and doing squats and arm stretches. the arm length is perfect and the body length sits about right on the crotch.
Thankfully it will not be on you tube but I reckon I have it stretched out to a large regular :D which, if worn over a t shirt with buckle boots or a-6a's will provide an authentic look (many pics show short legs on flight suits) and a true XL long would have dragged on the floor.
now I have to keep revisiting and continuing the stretch as it dries.

Thank goodness it is Made of wool. Fingers crossed that when I am done it will fit ok.

Tim P

I have stretched it out to a comfortable fit in the body, a good fit in the arms and having looked at a good number of Korea pics of aircrew, a realistic fit in the leg. (it may actually be more authentic.) I am happy with a job well done.
still mooching for a real big un but this will do in the meantime.