• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Work in progress Irvin

Chris 55

I've always been looking for large size Irvin over the years.
So I started buying Irvin jackets with out knowing the size and needing repairs.
First one was a coastal command jacket which had repaired.
Then I started to repair my own usual stuff zips cuffs etc.
I enjoy seeing the end result each time learning a bit more.
I've not got the holy grail yet as there all to small.
I'm working on a mid war one at the moment which has had a far bit of wear on the sleeve and usual bits.
It is a work in progress and a lot to do.
So do many people repair there own?

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_112621.jpg
    IMG_20201122_112621.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20201122_112331.jpg
    IMG_20201122_112331.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20201122_112426.jpg
    IMG_20201122_112426.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 216
  • IMG_20201122_112412.jpg
    IMG_20201122_112412.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20201122_112446.jpg
    IMG_20201122_112446.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20201122_112318_1.jpg
    IMG_20201122_112318_1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Paul Glover

Hello Chris, I started my search for the holy grail in the late seventies buying and selling Irvins.
I also like to do my own repairs but sometimes on more valuable jackets I have had some proffesional repairs done.
I was lucky enough to find my perfect fit in a very early wired Irvin which is in very good condition and has many of its origional features ( label, collar elastic, zips etc).
I have retained a number of shearling jackets that I can just about wear and have enjoyed the thrill of the chase buying repairing and selling , mostly making some profit.
I did post pictures of most of my collection in my member bio, but not sure if they are still on.
Keep up the good work, cheers Paul.

Chris 55

Hello Chris, I started my search for the holy grail in the late seventies buying and selling Irvins.
I also like to do my own repairs but sometimes on more valuable jackets I have had some proffesional repairs done.
I was lucky enough to find my perfect fit in a very early wired Irvin which is in very good condition and has many of its origional features ( label, collar elastic, zips etc).
I have retained a number of shearling jackets that I can just about wear and have enjoyed the thrill of the chase buying repairing and selling , mostly making some profit.
I did post pictures of most of my collection in my member bio, but not sure if they are still on.
Keep up the good work, cheers Paul.
I'm more or less on the same path but I only do about one a year.
I make a bit on them and goes to topping up the pot for when I find the right one.
I would take on a complete basket case just for the pattern.
I've recently just got hold of a mint 22 inch dot zip with bucket and it's still on the jacket and it's not an Irvin flying jacket.
IMG_20201104_195303.jpg

Micawber

Do I see a Singer 29K Patcher machine?** Lovely old things, very controllable.

**Edited to add: Sorry missed your text.

Paul Glover

Fantastic machine, I have often wondered how sleeves are sewn and repaired etc. I have had many a sore finger from hand stitcing leather and fleece. I wonder if I can sneek one into the attic when the wife isnt watching !.

Chris 55

Fantastic machine, I have often wondered how sleeves are sewn and repaired etc. I have had many a sore finger from hand stitcing leather and fleece. I wonder if I can sneek one into the attic when the wife isnt watching !.

Great machine the Singer 29k it will sew in any direction and spot on for doing the sleeve zips.
I got fed up of hand sewing the cuffs on so started looking into how the fleece was sewing together.
So then got the fur sewing machine so dam quick .

I wouldn't put one the attic thought Paul there heavy.
I paid ÂŁ150 for the 29k and 120 for fur sewing machine.
If you do sneak one past the wife and need help just give me a shout.
IMG_20200924_204406.jpg
IMG_20200924_203146.jpg

Bombing IP

Its all over the internet and you tube these horrible Chinese Shoe patcher's copied from the Bradford model I think .Well these machines sell for $100 on eBay delivered but boy are they crude . Lots of chinese shoe patcher forums also springing up . Seem more and more people are getting into leather sewing .But I do love how the head spins round 360 degrees and yes they are very controllable for sure .

BIP

Last edited:

Chris 55

Its all over the internet and you tube these horrible Chinese Shoe patcher's copied from the Bradford model I think .Well these machines sell for $100 on eBay delivered but boy are they crude . Lots of chinese shoe patcher forums also springing up . Seem more and more people are getting into leather sewing .But I do love how the head spins round 360 degrees and yes they are very controllable for sure .

Yep they are crude thats I went for the Singer this machine is over 80 year's old and still sews perfect.

Bombing IP

These 29k Singers used to be cheap now they are going for $500- $900 .That was made at a time when they wanted things to last ,and there basically over engineered . Go past any tailor or dry cleaner repair and alterations ,the machines are old and the paint is worn off . They would never give them up for a new one that I know .

BIP

BIP

Last edited:

busdrivermike

BIP
Not to hijack the thread but They are horrible little things, the sewing machine repair shop in town here said to just avoid them
But there are direct knockoffs also from China under several different names and quality
24E74AF7-3A06-49BE-B227-919CFC7E8EE5.jpeg

Paul Glover

Sounds like you got a great bargain with your machines Chris.
They are both works of art in themselves, as the saying goes "THEY DONT MAKE EM LIKE THEY USED TO ". Did it take you long to learn how to use them ? Or is it part of your trade ?.
Interesting pictures thanks.

Chris 55

They are both works of art in themselves, as the saying goes "THEY DONT MAKE EM LIKE THEY USED TO ". Did it take you long to learn how to use them ? Or is it part of your trade ?.

Hi Paul
I've always been a hands on guy as opposed to thinker. It's got me through life so far I seem to be able to adapt to challenge.
I've restored cars lot in past mainly vintage so I tend to look how things work and pick it up from there.
The fur machine is a work of art not sure if you can post video on here. If can I'll post a short clip.
It's not part of my trade I guess I picked up stuff from my gran when I was a kid. If only I could remember how to knit I'd have a go at few jumpers in this wartime publication.
IMG_20210105_130733.jpg
IMG_20210105_130833.jpg

Chris 55

I've uploaded short
I've uploaded a short clip to YouTube of the fur machine.

Bombing IP

I asked Ken of Aero how do they make sheepskin jackets got a reply but not an answer seems to happen a lot on this forum . Well is this machine they use to sew sheepskins together ? .

Chris 55

Here is another you tube Video goes a little in the setup and usage .The poor guy in this has some serious shakes but does a good job on the video .

Its interesting ,

Bip
Watched this many a time when doing research.
Onins machine very popular in the US.

Bombing IP

They were a New York company and the are still in business in Minnesota and have all the spare parts to fix them + sales .These Bonis machines come up on Craigs list all the time in the Brooklyn NY area between 200 -600 dollars .Interesting machines but fur trade is looked down on today so its in decline big time .

BIP