• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Woodland M-65

Peter Graham

With all the recent talk of M-65's I thought that I would post pics of a woodland M-65 that I recently picked up off the US Militaria forum. It's in nearly unworn condition and came as part of a woodland uniform all issued to the same person. I've compared it to my 71 dated Alpha and the construction, quality and tailoring is identical bar the velcro patch on the throat strap being larger. The shell seems to be of a slightly lighter weight material with perhaps more man made fibres as it has a slight sheen. For reference, my 71 Alpha is a small/short and the woodland is small/regular, the only difference being that the woodland is an inch longer. I'm hopeless with post WW2 patches so I'm hoping someone can ID the unit patches, Jim ?

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

m-65.jpg

Tim P

The right arm patch shows combat service with the 11th armoured cavalry. The left one is the 244th Aviation Brigade.

Tim P

Those colonel birds are sewn on really poorly considering... :( If a military tailor did that they need a performance review.

Peter Graham

Tim P said:
Those colonel birds are sewn on really poorly considering... :( If a military tailor did that they need a performance review.
They are coming off. Unit patches I can live with, rank I'm not so comfortable with. Thanks for the info Tim.

Atticus

Peter, that jacket looks great on you.

A couple of years ago, I bought an M-51 complete with subdued 1st Air Cav patch, captain's bars and the original owner's name strip. I've never worn the jacket except to try it on. I bought it thinking I would just remove the patches...but I couldn't bring myself to do it. And I couldn't wear it with the patches on, so I just hung it in my closet. Finally, Jim found me another M-51, exactly like it, on the Militaria Forum...except this jacket was not patched. I wear the hell out of that jacket.

AF

watchmanjimg

In my experience insignia is often sewn on at private tailor shops off base, with varying results. If you scrutinize any two uniforms belonging to one individual you're likely to notice a difference, however slight. Just further evidence of our imperfect nature . . .

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
Peter Graham said:
Atticus said:
Peter, that jacket looks great on you.
Thanks Geoff. It just doesn't have the counter culture kudos of the green ones though, does it ?

I guess it depends on how counter the culture. :twisted:

ap_osama_bin_laden_helmand_ll_110502_wg.jpg

AF

Humor aside, this photo pretty much illustrates the current situation regarding woodland M-65s. They're sufficiently cheap and plentiful that even Osama couldn't resist the urge to wear one. They're also not old enough yet to be considered historical pieces, notwithstanding that the wearer of the depicted jacket is now history . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atticus

watchmanjimg said:
Humor aside, this photo pretty much illustrates the current situation regarding woodland M-65s. They're sufficiently cheap and plentiful that even Osama couldn't resist the urge to wear one. They're also not old enough yet to be considered historical pieces, notwithstanding that the wearer of the depicted jacket is now history . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wonder if that son of a bitch is still wearing an M-65 on the bottom of the ocean. And while he's there, I wonder if he could look around for my Ray Bans that I lost while I was fishing the Gulf Stream last summer.

AF