• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Women’s Chippewa? leather boots c. 1940

Nnatalie

Found these at a local vintage-y consignment store this weekend, for only $25!

I found a remarkably similar pair of Chippewa brand boots in a 1939 Sears catalog—stitching looks the same, height is about the same, numbers of eyelets and hooks match up. No labels, aside from replacement Goodyear rubber heels. So for the time being, Chippewa (whether from Sears or not) is my best guess as to maker. I’m going to have to do more research into what women’s styles Chippewa made, and when, but Sears sold the boots in their catalog from 1939-42 (had to stop because of the war), so I’m estimating that they’re circa 1940. Laces are modern, but will probably get more authentic looking ones at some point.

My leather jacket is mid/late 30s, so I’m excited that my boots seem to be from the same period! I seem to be unintentionally collecting an entire outfit

First three pics are the boots, and the final one is the Sears catalog page. Actual color is a very dark, almost-black brown.
F93B287E-7974-4B68-90DF-04AFC7AA7705.jpeg
5EABF2AE-3549-48F1-ABE6-8E88BB09E786.jpeg
4A934B56-3D04-485A-A26F-3578027EB8A3.jpeg

The Sears catalog page featuring (probably) my boots on the left:
DD8A7BA8-28D9-4C9D-AAB7-4E84A1381513.jpeg

MikeyB-17

Cool! If they’re not the same as the ones in the ad, they’re very similar. Note the contrasting laces, which look good. Must take all day to lace up!

Nnatalie

Cool! If they’re not the same as the ones in the ad, they’re very similar. Note the contrasting laces, which look good. Must take all day to lace up!
Indeed they do! Even with the hooks, they certainly take a lot longer than something like athletic shoes or oxfords!