• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wired 1940 Irvin jacket presentation :-)

Dani-B

Hello all!
Here some photos and a (very) small Report of my well-loved wired 1940 IAC Irvinjacket. This jacket is in a great shape - the leather of jacket and collar in superb condition, strong and supple, without damage, except a small area on the upper back region. The coating without any flaking and just very small areas of slightly crackings. All of the zips (main zip cast double trunnion, sleeve zips brass single trunnion, all marked "DOT Made in England", also marked is the Slider box) are strong, complete and smooth-running. The sheepskin fur tight and solid, cuffs and bottom hem with minor traces of wear. Wiring loom and leather channels in great shape, robust and complete, the waist side plugs for connecting the Pants and the main plug for connecting to the aircraft's power supply system are removed long time ago I guess. All the seams and seam tapes tight and in very good order. The Label shows "Con.No. B.84479 / 40 / C.B.I. 1940 Size No. 6. Height 5 ft. II 6 ft. I Ins. Breast 40/42 ins. Waist 36/38 ins. (Crown) A.M. C.B. 2110", and a round (inspection?) stamp AID 3C8. Hanging chain present, also the elastic collar strap (have it removed and put aside because of its useless).
I'm not sure about the maker: shape, craftmanship, collar rings, belt loops, underarm vents, the manner of Installing and sewing the wiring loom and leather channels, and the high overall quality of manufacturing speaks for Irvin Air Chute (any idea of the maker, dear Andrew S.? :) all suggestions are highly welcome)
This stunning, robust, relatively heavy and very warm Irvin jacket (2.9 kg resp. 6.3 lb) wears very comfortable, cosy and with a "bullet proof feeling". To move the arms upwards and generally the flexibility in it is just great. Only by low outside temperatures (minus 15 degrees Celsius) the leather surface became a bit stiffness, but inside the jacket you need no more than a long-sleeved Denimshirt :) And the smell of this wonderful, wearable piece of history is just... vintage at its best!
I love this awesome Irvinjacket very much, to put-on this 75 years old artwork of british craftmanship is a special moment each time. And the fit couldn't be better IMHO. No doubt - with careful handling and reasonable maintenance, this Irvinjacket will make another 75 years :) .
Enjoy the following Pictures, and sorry for my strange english writing, but it's not my first language - I do my best.
Regards Daniel

dujardin

that's a great jacket
you seem to enjoy her, that's the most important thing

thanks for sharing this beauty with us

by the way, cool boots

Roughwear

Dani, your electrically wired Irvin was made by Irvin Air Chute. It appears to be a really decent example of their superior workmanship. I'm glad to see it does not still retain the "pig tail" connectors which really make the jacket impractical to wear out and about these days!

Falcon_52

That's a very nice example, Dani. And it looks like the perfect weather for wearing too! Thanks for posting.

Noel

Dani-B

@ Dujardin (Marcel, right?). The boots are the heavy "Grizzly Premium" winter hunting boots manufactured by Völkl / Germany. Made from full grain leather of Swiss origin, thickness 2.4 - 2.6 mm, with a full sheepskin lining, leather midsole, profiled rubber sole, double stitched, weight ca. 1.2 kg per boot. Very warm, very comfortable to wear, wonderful Shoemaker handcraft. Cold temperatures are not an issue with it.

@ Andrew: Thank you very much for your reply and for the Information about IAC as the manufacturer. An index with all the WW2-Irvinjacket manufacturers, their different Contract numbers and their different Labels in the space of time from the early '30 to '45 would be very helpful and much appreciate for Irvin jacket identification. Hope you will find the time in the near future to summarise your great knowledge about Irvinjackets in a brochure or a book, that would be great!

Regards Dani

dujardin

@ Dani

can you send me some more photo, from left, from right, the sole , aso....

you may use my pm ;)

Roughwear

[quote="Dani-B
@ Andrew: Thank you very much for your reply and for the Information about IAC as the manufacturer. An index with all the WW2-Irvinjacket manufacturers, their different Contract numbers and their different Labels in the space of time from the early '30 to '45 would be very helpful and much appreciate for Irvin jacket identification. Hope you will find the time in the near future to summarise your great knowledge about Irvinjackets in a brochure or a book, that would be great!

Regards Dani[/quote]

Dani, I do have an extensive list of contracts which I have built up over the years, which will be published one day.