• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Winterized' Period A-2 with B-10 Collar / Tag / Lining

Technonut2112

Saw this one on the bay and thought it worthy to post.... ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-B-10-Fl...42-with-Squadron-Patches-007-970/113382068885

s-l1600m.jpg

MikeyB-17

That’s interesting, never come across that before. Obviously somebody put a B-10 collar and lining on an A-2. I’ve heard of A-2’s being field modified with mouton collars, but never an alpaca lining. Don’t know if it’s a wartime mod or post-war. Warm, but maybe quite restrictive, I would guess?

Silver Surfer

saw it as well. the patches appear to be wwll patches, or soon there after [missions calculated by bombs at the end of the tour], and the hybrid of an aero a-2 [contract?] and b-10, and who knows what else. all of the jacket components appearto be wwll issue. put together war time? post war? anyones guess. all the same, interesting, as original a-2 modifications were done, especially in the eto

Technonut2112

Man, I keep looking at the eBay listing pics.. INCREDIBLY sweet patina on this jacket. I can see someone who totally coveted their A-2 looking at the newly issued B-10's in some frosty conditions, and CLICK! the light-bulb in the brain comes on. A trip to the base riggers or local tailor with a 'procured' B-10, and when completed, PRESTO! Warmth without needing to shelf the A-2 entirely.. :cool:;) It would have needed a bit of existing room for the lining to work / fit well however..

If this jacket was even remotely close to fitting me well, provenance be damned! I would be at the bank right now taking out a loan to cover the potential ending cost... This is just one of those jackets that 'looks right' to me. ;)

B-Man2

Not trying to steal the thread but it looks like this jacket or jackets like this were the inspiration for a jacket that I think is a great civilian flight jacket. It’s a commercial LL Bean Sherpa . They are goatskin with a shearling linning. They have been out of production for a while but you can still find them on eBay for about $120.00 - 200.00 US.
Take a look at it and decide for your self.

27D50E7A-AE6C-441C-9C41-12B46BA407E1.jpeg

85453F44-47D3-4C62-9F67-66C789AC08A4.jpeg

6CD0C97A-BD96-4B1A-952E-01C701D12034.jpeg

9FA05AB1-9C0A-4EF7-A726-68122768E906.jpeg

asiamiles

It's a beauty alright - I've always liked A-2s modified by the addition of a mouton collar - but I wonder how it fits? Oddly the seller doesn't give measurements (the listing also states $70 shipping to HK, which is way over the mark if intended); was the A-2 also a 42?

Pilot

;););)Sold two A-11 watches to Hong-Kong...shipping via DHL Internationl Express inssured was 115 Euro for a 400gr/ 800 Euro parcel.;););)

asiamiles

;););)Sold two A-11 watches to Hong-Kong...shipping via DHL Internationl Express inssured was 115 Euro for a 400gr/ 800 Euro parcel.;););)
I have stuff shipped from Japan regularly via FedEx. Much cheaper than DHL. Also the seller states he uses EMS, and the price for shipping an A-2 from Japan to HK would cost less than 30 Euro.
As I say, he may have used a template from a previous auction and not adjusted the shipping...

Pilot

I have stuff shipped from Japan regularly via FedEx. Much cheaper than DHL. Also the seller states he uses EMS, and the price for shipping an A-2 from Japan to HK would cost less than 30 Euro.
As I say, he may have used a template from a previous auction and not adjusted the shipping...
OK, as far as I experienced, its depending on how fast and how you insure it...my shipping from Korea to Hong-Kong took precisely 52 H door to door...( according to the tracking N#).
I sold an Irvin to Nick here...shipped from France to UK...3 days delivery inssured for 1000 Euro costs 137 Euro...all good...Also, I will never take any risk nor wish the items I buy or sell travel for too long (more than 4 days is too long for me...even with customs...) For me..I am happy to pay for it...if my prospect does not...bad luck...plenty of others are for sure...
Kind regards...

Last edited:

asiamiles

Yes, I'm talking about 2~5 day delivery services, not airmail. But actually on that listing it states, "Estimated between Fri. Dec. 14 and Thu. Dec. 20. Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 12 business days."

Already up to $426. I wonder if the patch is valuable...it's an area I know nothing about.

Pilot

Yes, I'm talking about 2~5 day delivery services, not airmail. But actually on that listing it states, "Estimated between Fri. Dec. 14 and Thu. Dec. 20. Please note the delivery estimate is greater than 12 business days."

Already up to $426. I wonder if the patch is valuable...it's an area I know nothing about.
OK...as for the patch? surely many experts here who can be of valuable assistance.
Good luck.

MeachamLake

1000% one of the coolest jackets I've ever seen.

If that is a genuine field mod, I guarantee Buzz Ricksons and Real McCoy's are repro-ing the s**t out of that jacket as we speak...! ;)