• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WILLIS & GEIGER AN-J-3A - Good candidate for a restoration?

Grant

Hey Danny, my vote is, hell yes. IMHO, as long as the goatskin's in solid condition and you're willing for fork over the funds for a proper restoration it's worth it. I had an Ed Church M422a in worse condition than this WG restored this summer and couldn't be happier.

Good luck with it!

Dany McDonald

Hi Grant,

I know it's tempting and the leather is horse or cow, adding a nice twist to it.

38 could be a bit sexy for me though.

Can you give me a guesstimate on the funds needed to bring it back? I have no idea on the overall $$$, Jacket + material + work....

D

Grant

Hey Dany,
Restorartion estimates vary widely depending how much of a stickler (or in my case, freak) you are for accuracy in finding the right knits, zip, lining material, mouton, thread and who you get to do the work. Looking a little closer at the pics it looks like there's a couple holes in the leather. For me that'd be a deal breaker.
Also, the zip looks like the male end of the zip starter has separated from the cotton taping, which mosts likely means replacing it.
BTW, Steve Sellers and Dave Sheeley are both masters at restoring jackets!

holes.png

Skyhawk

Hey Dany,
Restorartion estimates vary widely depending how much of a stickler (or in my case, freak) you are for accuracy in finding the right knits, zip, lining material, mouton, thread and who you get to do the work. Looking a little closer at the pics it looks like there's a couple holes in the leather. For me that'd be a deal breaker.
Also, the zip looks like the male end of the zip starter has separated from the cotton taping, which mosts likely means replacing it.
BTW, Steve Sellers and Dave Sheeley are both masters at restoring jackets!

View attachment 26665
Especially NAVY variants, M422a, G-1, ANJ..... Those would be the fellas I would check with for restoration work.

Skyhawk

Interesting jacket! Those knits are not the usual color W&G used but looks to be original. That hole looks like a medal was pinned into the jacket. I have seen this before and it always shocks me. Why would you do that?

It doesn't look too bad for restoration. That price is too high IMO.

-Jay

Dany McDonald

Hi guys,

Yes over priced but before making an offer I need more measurements from the seller. I like to fit in all my jackets, except if it's a turbo deal....

D

SteveN

Does anyone know do you find a member profile by name? I'd like to contact either Dave or Steve about replacing a collar, but searching for their names only turns up posts that mention them, not their profile...

B-Man2

Maverickson is Dave Sheeley
He just posted here this morning.
Look at the thread under Reproduction manufactures