• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

William Gibson b10 ?

petermack09

What the William Gibson buzz Rickson based on ?Aint seen this jacket anywhere,

Last edited:

Technonut2112

I'm not sure exactly which contract William Gibson B-10's are based upon, but I happened on an interesting article regarding the line. Apparently, the sci-fi author, William Gibson, had a character in one of his books wearing a black MA-1 made by Buzz Rickson. Well, Buzz really didn't make a black MA-1 at that time, and they had many requests for one after being contacted by many people who read Gibson's book. Gibson agreed to have his name on Buzz's new clothing line, and the rest is history:

petermack09

I'm not sure exactly which contract William Gibson B-10's are based upon, but I happened on an interesting article regarding the line. Apparently, the sci-fi author, William Gibson, had a character in one of his books wearing a black MA-1 made by Buzz Rickson. Well, Buzz really didn't make a black MA-1 at that time, and they had many requests for one after being contacted by many people who read Gibson's book. Gibson agreed to have his name on Buzz's new clothing line, and the rest is history:

Appreciate your help,,regards Peter

MikeyB-17

I enjoyed ‘Pattern recognition’, and being a Stranglers fan, anything black is OK by me. Always fancied a BR Gibson jacket, and I guess a B-10 would be good. Never fancied the MA-1. However great the quality, it would be too much like a security guard for me. Especially with my haircut!

Technonut2112

I think the William Gibson B-10 looks a lot like Buzz's Rough Wear B-10... Collar shape, pocket flaps, etc. Definitely different than their Superior Togs or L.S.L. Garment Co. contracts. Yep, a black Buzz Rough Wear would be my guess.

Garylafortuna

The William Gibson line can be regarded I think as Buzz Rickson's designer line. Although they are made to follow wartime designs pretty accurately, they do not necessarily follow any particular WW2 contract. I have a WG G-1 made from black shrunken buffalo hide, and I have to say it is one of the best jackets in my repro collection. A little on the heavy side with an oversized collar, but the craftsmanship is certainly evident.
That WG B-10 is beautiful, but I don't want to have to sell my Rolls to buy it. Sheesh.

ausreenactor

I bought a United Carr N-3A for my wife. Looks like a BR WG item though, made in the same factory at a third of the price.

Dubpynchon

They have a B-2 as well, if I could sell all my jackets (at the price I paid for them) and start again...

ausreenactor

I contend you would eventually have 80% of what you have now, slight variation in manufacturer perhaps.
We are all creatures of habit. Some variations in influence along the way might add a military or civilian jacket worn in a movie or trend. You will;; however, pay more for every one of them!

Dubpynchon

I contend you would eventually have 80% of what you have now, slight variation in manufacturer perhaps.
We are all creatures of habit. Some variations in influence along the way might add a military or civilian jacket worn in a movie or trend. You will;; however, pay more for every one of them!
Hah you’re probably right, instead of my Eastman G-1 I’d have a Lost Worlds G-1, etc. It would be nice to get some of the money back that I’ve spent on jackets over the years... so I could get that William Gibson B-2... but I can’t take the depreciation on selling second hand leather so they stay where they are. You’re swapping two for one, it’s crazy.
It is a bloody nice B-2 though.

petermack09

Don’t you just hate it when you track an item from shipping,,then the postie leaves you a card saying missed delivery,,,they must knock on your door with a feather :-(

ausreenactor

It is rampant in Australia. They fill the cards out and just throw them in the mail box. Getting to the door, waiting for the customer, doing the device input for signature and getting back to the van is a real inconvenience for contractors paid to DELIVER mail...