• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will a tanker work with this patch?

Weasel_Loader

Just picked up this awesome repro patch. It's all hand painted and on canvas. It's approx. 5 3/4" in diameter. My first thought when seeing this patch was how good it would go with a tanker jacket. Muroc Bombing and Gunnery Range was what Edwards AFB used to be called prior to @1942. I have seen evidence in historical documents still using the name into 1943. After 1943, it was simply Muroc Army Airfield. Not being knowledgeable about Tankers, I'm wondering if a tanker would appear before 1943. Any advice? Thanks guys.

MurocPatch.jpg

CBI

is this an RKO patch? Is there a stamp on the back that says "RKO Studios" and/or "Max Berman Studios"?

havocpaul

It would be fine to add it to a Tanker jacket, either the early Ist version with patch pockets (ATF are the only repro maker I think) or the more familiar slant pockets which came in to service in 1942. Quoting from ATF the info is:
" When exactly these were discontinued and the "normal" pockets were introduced we are not sure. The change probably occurred in 1942. There is a well known series of photos of M3 Lee tanks and their crews of the 1st Armored in Tunisia taken in December of that year" ...