• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why won't my patch Google ??

Andrew

Yep, if you go to the tigercollectibles website and find the jumbo patch you'll see the rubber stamp on the back and it is faint and it's not hard to imagine it fading away.

I was wondering if that unit/ group may have been part of the BCATP/ EATS scheme or started there and ended up in 103 RAF? I've seen on another forum someone who has a few CC patches asking where they were used and the answer was on a blazer. Here's something more about CC and the BCATP.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/jl/l ... rests.html

OOrrr, my heads hurtin'

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I had no idea it would be so difficult, but you patch detectives are amazing.

Thankyou ... :D

unclegrumpy

Andrew said:
I've seen on another forum someone who has a few CC patches asking where they were used and the answer was on a blazer.

Never seen this type of patch on a blazer. However, I have seen them on sweaters, athletic shirts, and various wool jackets that look a lot like an American College or High School letterman's jacket. I probably should not say this, but I have cut a few of these patches off, and kept the patch and tossed the jacket. :shock:

Question: What were the regulations for wearing non regulation clothing in the RAF/RCAF/RNZAF/RAAF? What I am thinking is maybe it was acceptable to have a non regulation sweater or jacket to wear around the barracks, but maybe not anywhere else. If that was the case, it would make sense to use patches like these on them. And, it would make sense for a semi souvenir patch design to be available specifically for the WAGs.

Andrew

unclegrumpy said:
Andrew said:
I've seen on another forum someone who has a few CC patches asking where they were used and the answer was on a blazer.

Never seen this type of patch on a blazer. However, I have seen them on sweaters, athletic shirts, and various wool jackets that look a lot like an American College or High School letterman's jacket. I probably should not say this, but I have cut a few of these patches off, and kept the patch and tossed the jacket. :shock:

Question: What were the regulations for wearing non regulation clothing in the RAF/RCAF/RNZAF/RAAF? What I am thinking is maybe it was acceptable to have a non regulation sweater or jacket to wear around the barracks, but maybe not anywhere else. If that was the case, it would make sense to use patches like these on them. And, it would make sense for a semi souvenir patch design to be available specifically for the WAGs.

I assumed that if it was on a blazer or reefer or something like you sacrificed Corey that it would have been post war and worn to reunions etc :cool: . I imagine that this kind of this was only done in Canada. The only type of Sqn patch you see Vets wearing here is the official Sqn crest sewn on a Blazer to wear on Anzac day. I'd say the Kiwis do the same.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
... The only type of Sqn patch you see Vets wearing here is the official Sqn crest sewn on a Blazer to wear on Anzac day. I'd say the Kiwis do the same.

Yep, I don't recall ever seeing anything else.

RCSignals

Andrew said:
unclegrumpy said:
Andrew said:

I assumed that if it was on a blazer or reefer or something like you sacrificed Corey that it would have been post war and worn to reunions etc :cool: . I imagine that this kind of this was only done in Canada. The only type of Sqn patch you see Vets wearing here is the official Sqn crest sewn on a Blazer to wear on Anzac day. I'd say the Kiwis do the same.

You wouldn't see that type of patch on a blazer in Canada either. An official unit crest in a wire weave or something yes.

That type of cloth patch such as the dumbo if not worn unofficially on a flying jacket etc would be just a souvenir or maybe worn on a 'club' type jacket (varsity style often all melton or the like) or as unclegrumpy suggested.

I've already suggested Dave's could be just an 'occupation' specific patch for WAGs of 103 Squadron. Even if just a souvenir. That is within reason I think

unclegrumpy

RCSignals said:
You wouldn't see that type of patch on a blazer in Canada either. An official unit crest in a wire weave or something yes.

That type of cloth patch such as the dumbo if not worn unofficially on a flying jacket etc would be just a souvenir or maybe worn on a 'club' type jacket (varsity style often all melton or the like) or as unclegrumpy suggested.

I've already suggested Dave's could be just an 'occupation' specific patch for WAGs of 103 Squadron. Even if just a souvenir. That is within reason I think

Thanks! That really helps better explain what I was trying to say.

What I was struggling for was remembering that these were called "club" jackets. And, yes Andrew I killed a few of those. Took out a few blue blazers in the day as well, but I never really cared for the patches that were on most of them because most were modern Pakistani made....too new, bright, and cheesy looking.

Most of the club jackets I dismembered were postwar into the early 1960's. I think in that period the guys could buy dolled up jackets rather than just a patch....like I think was more the case in WW II. Some of these jackets were pretty wild looking color wise, much like a modern sports team jacket can be. These jackets were generally made all in wool....layered, embroidered, and bright. Being wool, the jackets did not hold up well to weather, bugs, or lots of use. I never killed a nice jacket just for it's patches....just grubby, shrunken, or moth eaten ones.....well except for the mint one I once found named to a RAAF pilot in size 46....too big for any "normal" person. :eek:

Come to think of it, I have not seen a RCAF themed jacket in a long time....just an occasional hockey team. However, I have not been getting up to the places in Canada where I used to find them either. :(

EMBLEMHUNTER

Well here's something else to "muddy" the waters as they say , I was looking around the net for something else and came across a site about the RAF , the was a 103 Squadron in their lsting and the patch had a blue and white Swan in it's design , and a motto "Noli Me Tangere" (touch Me not ) anyway it having the swan lead me to wonder if this could be the lead of the squadron patch posted , at leats a "variation" type .
Anyway the brief history on the emblem goes along this line, Andover 1936, and it was redezignated the No.57 Squadron in 1945, they flew the following various aircraft,
Hind 1936-38
Fairey Battle 1938-40
Wellington (bomber) 1940-42
Hallifax II (bomber) 1942
Lancaster I/III 1942-45

I founf this info at this site addy,
nationalcoldwarexhibition.org
click on the "Squadrons" box at left of page and 103 squadron emblem is shown .

Johnny

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
the was a 103 Squadron in their lsting and the patch had a blue and white Swan in it's design , and a motto "Noli Me Tangere" (touch Me not ) anyway it having the swan lead me to wonder if this could be the lead of the squadron patch posted , at leats a "variation" type.

Thanks for the thought, Johnny, but I dunno ... swan, Donald Duck?

I'm not seeing it. :?

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
EMBLEMHUNTER said:
the was a 103 Squadron in their lsting and the patch had a blue and white Swan in it's design , and a motto "Noli Me Tangere" (touch Me not ) anyway it having the swan lead me to wonder if this could be the lead of the squadron patch posted , at leats a "variation" type.

Thanks for the thought, Johnny, but I dunno ... swan, Donald Duck?

I'm not seeing it. :?

ugly duck(ling) ? ;)