• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why was the 27753 A2 jacket a " no name" jacket?

WBOONE

I have always liked the look of the horsehide 27753 jacket. And there is a really cool video of WWII veteran Jack Spratt showing off and wearing his original painted 27753 in fantastic condition. Why did the spec tag not provide the contractors name like most of the others? To quote J.C.-"The maker was most likely Cable Raincoat Co. of Boston, MA, as the details are identical to other contracts by Cable Raincoat Co." Why not put " Cable Raincoat Co." on the tag if they were indeed the maker?

Silver Surfer

thats a $64,000 question. no names were made by other contractors as well as cable. lotsa therorys, but nothing concrete on why.

WBOONE

Yes, the AAF could have awarded the contract then said-"Don"t put your companies name on the spec tag', ...but why?

STEVE S.

wouldn't think it would apply to clothing, but some things were kept "no name" in case they fell into enemy hands. if there was a big tag with name & address where it was being produced, sabotage would be made easier.

WBOONE

True.....And while looking at a A2 oriented website that discussed all of the various A2's and compared them, It did have this to say about a " no name " jacket: "This A-2 jacket is so strange that it is no wonder that the maker did not place their name on the label." I also found a lawsuit filed against the Cable Raincoat co. in the mid-late 30's about a alleged issue that they were going to pay a person $5000.00 if they were able to go to Washington D.C and convince the Government to switch from oilskin to rubber raincoats for the U.S Army. Not that that has anything to do with the 27753, if they were even the maker, but it might show that some original makers, for there own reasons , might desire to forgo putting their companies name on the spec tag, andthat they were apparently given that option by the A.A.F.

Roughwear

The AC 27753 jacket was definitely made by Cable Raincoat. Gary Eastman has researched the original contract and it was awarded to Cable. The no name jackets are interesting for sure and I understand that the Materiel Division had the labels ordered prior to the award of the contract to a specific maker, hence the absence of a name on the spec label. All the components of an A2 were sourced centrally by the Materiel Division and then supplied to specific makers.

WBOONE

Thanks Andrew- GoodWear Leather does not list a Cable Raincoat A2 on their products page but does have the no-name 27753 of course. Did Cable make another horsehide A2 jacket with a different contract number, and if so was it essentially the same jacket as the no-name? Was the 27753 contract particularly big?

Robman

They did a horsehide contract early on, the 23382 or something to that effect, and yes the 27753 was quite large, I believe 50, 000 jackets.

WBOONE

Quite a large contract. But I dont see them showing up for sale much. Any one here have a original? If so, what is your opinion of it as compared to other originals? How is it holding up?

Robman

They may not be showing up much lately, but in the past ten years they have been one of the most numerous available through auctions, eBay, etc. I had an original that I have recently sold. Don't know if it was horse or cow and after the cowhide "discovery" that came to light a couple of years ago, I stopped caring about it, lol.