• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

why no love for aero royale

Ken at Aero Leather

I quite like how the cuffs and waistband are just a touch snugger than the rest of the jacket! Often on the 30s jackets it seems like the waist/cuffs just look like continuations of the body/sleeves, but made out of a different piece of leather. This adds some nice variety.

Did the British just tend to favor these leathers, or were they importing heavier, less soft leather jackets from the US or other countries?

Not sure how much if any heavy leather US made garments were imported to The UK back in the 50s, I don't recall seeing any pre Schott's arrival in the late 60s. If memory serves me well the American Shop in Shaftsbury Ave. London has Deer Suede College Jackets along side their imported range of Preppy clothing (Circa 1962-65)
When I began making leather jackets in the late 60s it was near on impossible to find anything heavier than Sheep/Nappa
It wasn't until (1970s) when we persuaded Connolly to sell us some of their cowhide for garments that we were able to produce heavier jackets
Rivetts, Lewis etc continued to use Sheep/Nappa

Last edited:
It's an overall fantastic jacket but for me personally the deal-killer would be the exposed front zipper. If it was covered by dual flaps...like a G-1 front...that'd be much nicer-looking. Just quibbling... :)