• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why doesn't my Comet have a tail ... ??

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Okay, I picked up a couple of Vanson jackets yesterday, both in heavy black cowhide, and in nice, unmarked condition. One of them, the Cafe Racer, apparently the Comet model ...

http://www.vansonleathers.com/detail.aspx?ID=318

... has made it into the jacket room, where it's currently on probation. It's a size 38, but I squish in okay, and the sleeves are plenty long, it's just the back length ... 22". I'm not scared of short jackets, but I don't want to look like a matador, or feel that I should be carrying a helmet.

Does this style work for street wear?

Vcruiser

Well..I couldn't/wouldn't wear it on a bike or street with that length. However I like a jacket to at least cover my belt..whether riding or not.
Van

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Now don't be telling me that, Van ... I'm starting to like it. :)

The front length is almost 20", I just tried it again with my only denims, relaxed fit LL Bean, and it seemed to cover the belt loops. Yeah, I'm liking it, I think I'll stare at it until it changes to brown horse hide, and then it's good to go.

Atticus

deeb7 said:
Does this style work for street wear?
Absolutely. I've even seen folks wearing shorter jackets in more formal settings.

large_my_cousin_vinny_blu-ray11.jpg

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Atticus said:
Absolutely. I've even seen folks wearing shorter jackets in more formal settings.

Thanks Geoff, that gives me more confidence ... is he really your cousin?

Atticus

deeb7 said:
Naw…he's just some Yankee-guy actor. Most of my cousins are banjo players down around the Cahulawassee River.

But on a different note…My Cousin Vinnie is, without doubt, the most accurate portrayal of Southern Superior Court that has ever been filmed. Law and Order? CSI? Forget about it! If you want to see realistic courtroom drama, go rent a copy of My Cousin Vinnie.

AF

Vcruiser

Atticus said:
deeb7 said:
Naw…he's just some Yankee-guy actor. Most of my cousins are banjo players down around the Cahulawassee River.

AF

Any of um yutes..?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
... as far as the jacket goes, I'm fine with it now. It is what it is, and it came off probation early, and was assigned a hanger.

Comet.jpg

asiamiles

I personally don't feel comfortable wearing such short jackets and have let many - that I've otherwise liked - go for such a reason, but the skinnier-than-me Japanese guys can get away them just fine.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... the skinnier-than-me Japanese guys can get away them just fine.

Thanks Miles, but now that I'm keeping it, I'm preferring Steve's response. :lol:

Dr H

deeb7 said:
asiamiles said:
... the skinnier-than-me Japanese guys can get away them just fine.

Thanks Miles, but now that I'm keeping it, I'm preferring Steve's response. :lol:

David
Why not pick up some higher waisted (period) trousers that with braces/suspenders would lose the belt and raise the waistline?
That would make the jacket feel more comfortable immediately - it works very well with the A-1/A-2 and you don't need to go to Simon Cowell lengths. :D
Cheers
Ian

jack aranda

Hi, David:
Sharp-looking jacket. You look great wearing it. If I tried a slim, shorter jacket I'd look like a reindeer in a gunny sack. I like the khaki's, too. Well done.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Thanks Ben, and thankyou for the suggestion Ian.

I have higher waisted trousers, Bill's Khakis, that I sometimes wear with an A-1, or A-2, but this jacket, without a waistband, is comfortable the way it is. I zipped it up for the picture, when it's open the front hangs below the belt.