• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do navy jackets have mouton?

srivats

This might be a silly question, but I am unable to find an answer for it on the forum or on google ... why do navy jackets have a mouton collar?

Atticus

srivats said:
This might be a silly question, but I am unable to find an answer for it on the forum or on google ... why do navy jackets have a mouton collar?

I read somewhere that it was to reduce chafing of the wearer's neck.

AF

srivats

Atticus said:

If that is the case, even a thin lining of mouton would have served the purpose too right? Why is the mouton so thick in any navy jacket, be it the M4422*, ANJ3a or G1/G2 ?

Atticus

srivats said:
If that is the case, even a thin lining of mouton would have served the purpose too right? Why is the mouton so thick in any navy jacket, be it the M4422*, ANJ3a or G1/G2 ?

What is a G-2?

AF

Swing

srivats said:

To protect the neck from the cold, same as on a B-10 and B-15. Turn the collar up and fasten it, and it's nice and warm. Unfortunately, you can't turn your head very well (at least I can't) with that set up.

~Swing

Vcruiser

Atticus said:
srivats said:

AF

There's still rednecks in the Navy,tho! I've met a few loud ones after the Bluegrass bars let out.....

Atticus

Come to think of it, I mighta read the neck chafing theory in the same article that explained the reason for the G-1's action back. Seems the Navy figured their pilots would have to swim in their jackets at least once during their careers.

AF

Jaydee

Think of the wind and cold out on the open ocean in winter time. I have seen action on the deck in the Sea Of Japan during winter. Cooolllld! You get frozen just doing the preflight! Those collars button up to form a fur turtleneck that is super soft and warm, if the mouton is in good shape and not matted. The land based pilots didn't have to contend with that relentless cold ocean wind. Remember that on a carrier deck there is usually at least a 25-30 knot wind from the motion of the ship.
-Jay

jacketimp

srivats said:
Atticus said:

your source for g2?