• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who the heck is Platon? Any good pics of his jackets?

Micawber

In case anyone is wondering i removed the image of my lad wearing the Platon Dubow I gifted him. While the ignore feature works for original posts it doesn't filter quoted posts.

Southoftheborder

Smells fishy....

He did know of Bill Kelso, it was Platon and his jackets he hadn't heard of. And they only started to be sold fairly recently. In all the years I've been on different forums with various interests the one common factor is that most people just don't read posts or threads very closely. It's no wonder they misunderstand each other so much.

ZuZu

I can guarantee you if Platon and BK and whoever have a Greek family connection and have Greek business together we on the outside won’t figure it out and won’t be included. Greek business...

Carl

I can guarantee you if Platon and BK and whoever have a Greek family connection and have Greek business together we on the outside won’t figure it out and won’t be included. Greek business...
Chopped liver

John Lever

He did know of Bill Kelso, it was Platon and his jackets he hadn't heard of. And they only started to be sold fairly recently. In all the years I've been on different forums with various interests the one common factor is that most people just don't read posts or threads very closely. It's no wonder they misunderstand each other so much.
Been here awhile.....

asiamiles

So, there is an atmosphere of mistrust and paranoia now.
I don't think so. It's simply when someone starts a thread entitled "Who the heck is Platon? Any good pics of his jackets?" it inevitably makes one question if this is the person themselves trying to draw attention to the jackets they are making/selling (I can imagine this is a fairly common practice in some quarters) but aren't allowed to directly because they are banned from the forum - indeed, some makers do keep reappearing here under various guises - and when the person has connections to the country of the seller (and we're talking Greece here, not the USA) such suspicions become heightened. And those members who suspected that might be the case here mentioned it in a fairly light tone rather than attacking the OP.

Southoftheborder

Been here awhile.....

Not sure if you mean you've been here a while or that I haven't. But you have been around a while, and on the FL site too. In fact I can remember you being very helpful to me there years ago about an Eastman Irvin I had at the time.

But either way I don't see how it relates to my point which was a general one about all the forums I've been a member of over the years. It was that people tend to read posts the way they listen in a discussion - not really at all.

Technonut2112

This thread was started as a basic request for info and pics regarding Platon's jackets. The OP received the requested info, thanked folks who were helpful, and is now off to different threads discussing other jackets, including original A-2's and repros from various makers, with various opinions relating to their quality and level of detailing. My interest in the thread started as one of Platon's satisfied customers offering some requested info, since I actually own one of his jackets. Others who actually own one contributed to the requested info as well. I could sit back and attempt to analyze some of the train-wreck that ensued outside of this thread's basic request for information, but it's just not worth veering even further from the thread's topic of discussion as I already have in many of my previous posts...

Last edited:

Horse Power

Tell me about ZuZu, I married one myself seven years ago when i moved to Greece. I ordered a BK shortly after moving here and was curious about the operation and hoped i could stop into the shop while getting measured. Nope, they sent their pattern cutter to me. The mystery continues.

Anyway I'm heading back to the US in a month if flights are still a go by then because of the corona virus to pick up ten backs of thee Best leather in the world........for tooling. Good old Hermann Oak, hope i can get them through customs....

Southoftheborder

I think it's just BK doing a standard no frills jacket at a cheaper price. Like many companies they won't want to sully their brand so they create another one complete with website to distance the BK brand from the cheaper jackets.

Brettafett

Do you have one of these jackets?
I have both versions, and they are identical in every way, although the leather is slightly different (and the BK having a touch of length added)

Its entirely possible, who really knows except Mr Platon and Mr Andy.... All I do know, is that these jackets are as good as any high end A-2. Period.
And the prices for what you get, are better than most.

Southoftheborder

Do you have one of these jackets?
I have both versions, and they are identical in every way, although the leather is slightly different (and the BK having a touch of length added)

Its entirely possible, who really knows except Mr Platon and Mr Andy.... All I do know, is that these jackets are as good as any high end A-2. Period.
And the prices for what you get, are better than most.

Yes, but if they are just about as good as a BK why would anyone want the BK at over twice the price? It's not because they are cheap and poor that they would want to distance the brand but because they are almost as good for a lot less money. They might well be made offshore too. That and a standardised jacket with just one contract would allow them to use very good hides and still keep the price down.