• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who the heck is Platon? Any good pics of his jackets?

Brettafett

Just my POV, but I don't want an original... I tried, a couple of times.
The sleeves always feel a touch short on me. There are often stitch holes, seams coming undone, leather cracking, etc... There are usually weak areas, that can't be fixed or parts needing replacing.Always some issue...
Replacing the knitwear, lining or other odds and sods is expensive and hard to find people willing to take on the job, let alone know what they are doing. The jackets have been worn for over 70 years and often require cleaning. Again, unless done professionally, could damage jacket.
Also, I feel personally that these jackets belong in a museum, where people can appreciate them. I just don't feel right wearing one.
Repros, good repros. A part of it for me was finding the 'one' that fit and looked right, sure. I have found a few. Its become a hobby and a deeper interest developed. I now have a few good repros and enjoy trying out a 'new' contract or a jacket from a maker Ive not yet tried. I'm curious by nature.
Selling a jacket to fund a new jacket curiosity is also fun. I also want to try my hand at painting a jacket, one day.
I no longer think there's one golden jacket, or one best maker. Ive had from almost everyone and each has had its pros and cons... I do think I'll start slowing down though... Have a BK 23380 on the way and likely another Dubow.
Dunno, make any sense?
Edit: If the right original came along, would sure take a look. Perhaps the solution is having an original, and then a good repro or two for day to day wear.

Last edited:

jeremiah

I agree with you Brett,
I tried on an original. It was a little big, but one thing that hit me hard was these things can be very fragile. I know there are some on here who owned, or have owned originals that can be more than a "once in a while" wearer.
I think with the way I use these things that I'll too stick with repros, but I still respect the originals tremendously for what they are. A glimpse into the past and a tangible part of History.

ZuZu

Thanks much for all the info! I have much experience with Greek people- they aren't afraid to say what they think and there is a tight if convoluted family structure! Greek business is Greek business- I don't think you guys will ever figure out all the connections! I will say that the Platon jacket looks pretty good!

ZuZu

Just my POV, but I don't want an original... I tried, a couple of times.
The sleeves always feel a touch short on me. There are often stitch holes, seams coming undone, leather cracking, etc... There are usually weak areas, that can't be fixed or parts needing replacing.Always some issue...
Replacing the knitwear, lining or other odds and sods is expensive and hard to find people willing to take on the job, let alone know what they are doing. The jackets have been worn for over 70 years and often require cleaning. Again, unless done professionally, could damage jacket.
Also, I feel personally that these jackets belong in a museum, where people can appreciate them. I just don't feel right wearing one.
Repros, good repros. A part of it for me was finding the 'one' that fit and looked right, sure. I have found a few. Its become a hobby and a deeper interest developed. I now have a few good repros and enjoy trying out a 'new' contract or a jacket from a maker Ive not yet tried. I'm curious by nature.
Selling a jacket to fund a new jacket curiosity is also fun. I also want to try my hand at painting a jacket, one day.
I no longer think there's one golden jacket, or one best maker. Ive had from almost everyone and each has had its pros and cons... I do think I'll start slowing down though... Have a BK 23380 on the way and likely another Dubow.
Dunno, make any sense?
Edit: If the right original came along, would sure take a look. Perhaps the solution is having an original, and then a good repro or two for day to day wear.

This has been my experience also- even with the perfect wearer- a Dubow I had that was totally solid and worn to suedy perfection I never felt completely comfortable- and the sleeves were too short. I still felt wrong wearing such a good example- it became a special occasion jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 246

Saint-ex

We spend lots of money, thousands in fact , on not just one repro or two repros but as Techno said on or 5 or 10 or more repros , once again trying to find the jacket that makes us happy and looks EXACTLY like an original. Here’s my point . I think Pilot has it right. Why not just search around until you find an original that works for you, buy it and be happy wearing it occasionally along with one nice GW, BK, or ELC repro to switch out with. I think it would save loads of money in the long run.
What the fuck are you going to do if you have only one jacket and be happy with ?
I think lot of people here love more the fact to talk about, order, wait, try, sell, order an other... than just have one and wear it. :p

jeremiah

I have tried to find an original that would fit me well or one that is south of $2000. I have yet to be that lucky.
I have since given up but even if I found an original I’d still be afraid to wear it.
I am quite happy with my three repros and accept the faults each has.

CBI

having gone full circle with this hobby...if I want to wear a jacket, I don''t wear an A-2, G-1 or anything really that this forum is about. I wear a North Face fleece or Kuhl brand retail jacket. I just don't have to worry or care about them. If I get the urge to wear an A-2 or G-1 or whatever, I only wear originals now. If wear an A-2, its an original or I just don't bother. Its important to me personally that its the real deal. I just don't wear them often. I have found a good balance finding beat up originals that I purchase cheaply and fix up. Sometimes, something that would otherwise just sit in a closet or get thrown out. At least its getting some life every once in a while and if I do decide to sell, I can offer at a cheap price for an easy sale. I used to be interested the details of these high end repro jackets but since my overall interest is aviation history, wondering about the minute aspects of jacket manufacturing seems too unimportant compared to broader historical interests. I will leave those details to the repro guys who's livelihood the details depend on. For the ELC and GW's of the world, those details DO MATTER. I just don't think WW2 pilots sat around talking about collar snaps. That said, this IS a jacket forum however so many of these threads continue to go south. Just not taking part solves this for me with occasional speed reading through threads. Still love the photos of cool jackets. As for the OP, no idea.

B-Man2

I have tried to find an original that would fit me well or one that is south of $2000. I have yet to be that lucky.
I have since given up but even if I found an original I’d still be afraid to wear it.
I am quite happy with my three repros and accept the faults each has.
Well then ... that’s the key... learning to be happy with the faults of the jackets you have. However .... the last several days most of what I’ve read has been about jackets and makers who people aren’t happy with, although they’ve spent great sums of money . I’ve seen people spend way beyond $2000 on multiple repros, and that’s easy to do when they run $500 - $1500 each, who still aren’t happy with them. All I’m saying is that if you’ve spent all that money and still can’t find an A2 that you really like that is as authentic as you want , then maybe it’s time to consider an original.
Cost wise you’d be ahead of the game. Today’s original prices are around that of a high end A2 repro . I get what’s being said about the jackets being delicate and needing repairs but in the long run a person would be ahead financially with one original and one repro to switch off with . Then a person would definitely have all the authenticity that seems to be lacking in the repros and the source of all of the conflict that has been posted lately. Think about it.
Cheers

Technonut2112

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I must live on a VERY limited monthly income. I am fortunate to own my home with no monthly payments, but I'm sure to be considered 'dirt-poor' compared to most here. After expenses, I am lucky to be able to set-aside enough for my usual $500-700.00 limit on jacket purchases a couple of times a year, if that, and it's next to impossible for me to keep a couple of thousand around for any length of time hoping for an original.. Other priorities will always come up. Sometimes I will sell something on to help fund my purchases. Some folks joke about having to eat ramen for a month after some purchases... rest assured it is reality for me at times of my own choice... I'm currently scratching around trying to raise an extra $90.00 for a Bronson C-2 sweater, and even that is proving to be difficult ATM... I'm not complaining, just stating that saving for an original is more difficult for certain folks than one may think..

B-Man2

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I must live on a VERY limited monthly income. I am fortunate to own my home with no monthly payments, but I'm sure to be considered 'dirt-poor' compared to most here. After expenses, I am lucky to be able to set-aside enough for my usual $500-700.00 limit on jacket purchases a couple of times a year, if that, and it's next to impossible for me to keep a couple of thousand around for any length of time hoping for an original.. Other priorities will always come up. Sometimes I will sell something on to help fund my purchases. Some folks joke about having to eat ramen for a month after some purchases... rest assured it is reality for me at times of my own choice... I'm currently scratching around trying to raise an extra $90.00 for a Bronson C-2 sweater, and even that is proving to be difficult ATM... I'm not complaining, just stating that saving for an original is more difficult for certain folks than one may think..
Techno
I agree with you completely. No argument regarding the extravagant cost of this hobby. I completely understand that each of us has their own financial issues and limitations. I realize that we have to deal with our financial limitations independent of what we wish we could have or want. I am respectful or yours and everyone’s money issues. However , that wasn’t the focus of what I was trying to point out. So let me try to explain my point with some anecdotes.
Since I’ve been in this forum I’ve known at least 4 or 5 people ..... who have over the years spent roughly $20,000 Dollars on high repro jackets , constantly looking for all of the attributes of an original A2. The fit the drape, the graining , the knits on and on and so forth. Only to be disappointed after a very short time and either selling the jacket for a substantial loss or throwing it in the back of the closet and beginning a new search for the best and the most authentic.They were never happy . You probably know someone like that as well. Going from an ELC to a GW then to a BK then to a JA DuBow doing this repeatedly over a period of years. Now ... wouldn’t this person have been happier and thousand of dollars ahead if he would have found a nice original wearable A2 , even if it did required a little work and bought that for occasional wear. Think about it ... That’s all I’m saying . The guy who really is ahead here is the guy who can live with the flaws of a repro and not care or give a damn about them. But if you’re not wired that way, and have to have the most authentic looking repro , which is what most of the heated discussions have been about for the last week , then buy the original and save years of searching and a lot of money.
Cheers

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

when i want to wear an a-2, its an original....weather permitting. originals can still be found in perfectly serviceable, supple, and strong condition. when its raining, snowing, or just crappy cold weather, and i want to wear an a-2, i go to the repros, of which i have 4. ya gotta believe, there just aint nuttn like wearing an original a-2. as to current pricing of better repro a-2s, they are now priced way outta my comfort zone, and like i wrote, i have 4, so im not in the market.

Smithy

The guy who really is ahead here is the guy who can live with the flaws of a repro and not care or give a damn about them. But if you’re not wired that way, and have to have the most authentic looking repro , which is what most of the heated discussions have been about for the last week , then buy the original and save years of searching and a lot of money.

That's what I've been trying to say across several threads for sometime now Burt. If you want ultimate authenticity then get an original because even the very, very best repro will still be just that. If you don't want an original because you're worried you'll destroy it/can't afford one/you don't want to wear somebody else's old clothes/etc then you have to settle for what level of authenticity you want and often that's correlated with how much you're willing to spend. I don't want an original because I wear what I have and I would completely bugger one up because I am really rough on my jackets. I don't want to baby something like a jacket so an original is not for me.

One good thing though with repros is that they've come a long way in the last decade or so and we're starting to see some of the mid range offerings improving leaps and bounds in terms of detailing. Lots of choice if nothing else and there's pretty much something for everyone out there. Yes some of them are ridiculously overpriced now but there's some sharply priced options and these always the secondhand market. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good repro. Just don't forget though that it'll never be an original so don't expect it to be one.

mulceber

I have to say, since I got my original, I've discovered I appreciate originals and repros in different ways: when I wear an original, that part of me that frets about accuracy shuts up and I can just enjoy the jacket. Then when I put on a repro, I appreciate that I have a jacket that I can beat the crap out of without worry.

B-Man2

I have to say, since I got my original, I've discovered I appreciate originals and repros in different ways: when I wear an original, that part of me that frets about accuracy shuts up and I can just enjoy the jacket. Then when I put on a repro, I appreciate that I have a jacket that I can beat the crap out of without worry.

And for those reasons, that’s why I suggested that an original with a repro, as a switch out jacket, might be the best option for several people here, who want the complete and total authenticity, which can only be found in an original A2 and the care free freedom of wearing and beating the piss out of a repro.
It’s not a solution for everyone, but it would be for some here.
Cheers

MikeyB-17

I don't want an original (or at least I'm not in a position to own one). I can live with inaccuracies, let's face it the rest of the world doesn't care about how the windflap attaches to the collar, but I would like to think that it's possible to produce a repro that's as close as it can be to an original-amazing feats of copying are done in other fields, I don't see that it's not possible in jackets-although budget will obviously be a constraint. I may never own one, but it would be nice to know they're out there if I suddenly come into millions.

petermack09

I’m currently sitting with around 30 or more jackets,,most likely spent in excess of £15000,and it’s taken this long to realise that because I’m now so hung up on keeping them immaculate I’m not really enjoying wearing them.The one jacket I keep being drawn to & is probably my most comfortable jacket is a £70 cooper,,it’s been everywhere with me,battered lumps out of it ,thrown it in cupboards & the back of the car and not once thought about it.if I could turn back time I would stick with two leather jackets & have a much healthier bank balance .
I’m glad I tuned into vlj this past couple of weeks I’ve learned a lot,hopefully one day I can convince myself to do a clear out .too much choice for me isn’t working