• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who or what is Bing [Bot] ?

Peter Graham

Recently I've noticed a Bing [Bot] amongst the online users quite frequently. Bing is in light grey instead of the blue of the other online users. The other users can be "clicked on" to bring up their info. Bing [Bot] cannot be. Anyone any ideas ? The ghost of Skeeter perhaps !

Andrew

Pete, this is what Bill said about it,

Hi, Andrew,

Thanks,

It's something I can stop - only problem is when you block these bots, you don't get put into their databases so when you do a search we won't be included.

Basically they're harmless but a nuisance

Bill French

I was told last week Bing is Microsoft's alternative to Google search.

bfrench

Administrator
Here's a web definition:

A web crawler is a relatively simple automated program, or script, that methodically scans or "crawls" through Internet pages to create an index of the data it's looking for. Alternative names for a web crawler include web spider, web robot, bot, crawler, and automatic indexer.

There are many different uses for a web crawler. Probably the most common use associated with the term is related to search engines. Search engines use web crawlers to collect information about what is available on public web pages. Their primary purpose is to collect data so that when Internet surfers enter a search term on their site, they can quickly provide the surfer with relevant web sites.

I just had a look at the usage and the logs do show their last visit - so, being the paranoid security type that I am,
I have taken away all permissions for bot and their kin.

If any of you do see them online, please notify me and I'll see if there's any other resources to be used in keeping these so called harmless intruders out.

Cheers,
Bill French