• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who makes the most accurate hi-quality A-2 budget Repro ?

ZuZu

This 27752 which looks dark seal in photos is actually a strong dark russet. I know because I owned it for a while. It's actually russet:

side_view.jpg

ZuZu

Maybe you mean their dark seal? I agree that's pretty dark, But their seal seal is very close, here's me photoshopped on an original photo for comparison ( consider the different lighting):

View attachment 92321

Nope- BKs dark seal is just too dark- even compared to that jacket. IMO of course. Impossible to tell from an old photo because the camera is a liar. I've put up 2 examples of 27752s that are actually dark seal but the majority of A-2s of every type were just brown- some darker- some lighter but almost always a russet tone. I agree with what you said in your original statement that most of the repro makers use leather that is too "vivid". But I definitely include BK in that group. This is not toned down- it's vivid:

IMG_1620.jpg

star-18245_001-768x768.jpg

Last edited:

Greg Gale

@ZuZu the photos you posted, one is a redye by a forum member if I'm not mistaken, the other is dark seal, but I may be wrong. Anyhow, these jackets will look different depending on monitor settings, camera settings (especially old ones), lighting, etc...

But I still think that Platon and BK nailed the colors the most accurately.

B-Man2

This 27752 which looks dark seal in photos is actually a strong dark russet. I know because I owned it for a while. It's actually russet:

View attachment 92313
ZuZu
Are you sure this is a RW 27752 ? I only ask because the color of the knits look more like what you would find on a DuBow 1755 than a RW.

Last edited:

Pa12

Is the fact that the originals pictured are over 80 years old and are heavily worn combined with some fade due to the suns UV rays being considered when discussing the original seal color of original A2’s ? Just asking ?
I can’t see any man made object 80 years old retaining its original colour. Especially russet. I often wonder how the jacket builders mail down the original colour. Perhaps the photos of originals are more accurate then original examples.

Chandler

Guys, with all due respect, seriously discussing the shade when everyone is behind their own monitor and everyone has only their own monitor calibration and their own individual color perception IMHO is pointless.
How do I "like" this post 3 times?

Also, I could Photoshop myself into an old photo and easily alter the colors to many shades of russet or seal brown.

WingAndaPrayer

Here’s a picture of an original Dubow Shawn sent me to compare original knits to their new dubow purple. This jacket looks pretty dark seal to me, although I’m not sure if it’s a redye or not?
743A43A7-C8AF-445B-8B6C-44F379B27E5C.jpeg

ZuZu

Take your pick, and these represent only one example per contract up to '43...
View attachment 92363

This beautifully illustrates my point. 39 jackets and only 5 or 6 are close to that dark seal common throughout the repro world. Most- even the dark ones- are brown and looking at the photo you don't see that crude dichotomy Seal/Russet that you'd see if 39 repros were hanging there. I agree with PA12, Chandler and Greg Gale all this chatter about color photos on the internet is useless.

Micawber

I can’t see any man made object 80 years old retaining its original colour. Especially russet. I often wonder how the jacket builders mail down the original colour. Perhaps the photos of originals are more accurate then original examples.

Disassembling an original and examining hidden areas of finished hide behind turned in / back seams that have been concealed since construction. Even then the colour could have been affected by atmosphere, contact or contaminants. An average from the whole garment needs to be taken and results not based on one area of one sample.

Last edited:

Kermit3D

There is a topic that has probably never really been brought up when comparing jacket makers, low or high end: Color.

I'm color deficient a little bit, but somehow my eyes make up for it by being very sensitive to differences in shades. And it goes for jackets too. Even some of the most expensive makers make the mistake of dying their jackets the wrong shade - I had an Eastman seal which I always found a little too dark. I'm not a huge fan of their russet, which is more 'Havana Brown'. I've also seen Goodwears being too reddish. Having the color too vivid/ bright, even just a little bit is a trap that many fall into.
This would be the number 1 reason why I would pick AVI over 5 Star any day, they just have more realistic colors.

Bottom line, my 2 cents, I've only seen BK and Platon's jackets nailing the colors perfectly - I know IRL those varied A LOT, what I mean is their jackets are never too vividly colored.

I agree with your feeling Greg Gale.
I think the "Liberty Horsehide Seal" color from BK is really close to what you can see on the pictures of the original jackets.

I also agree that there are a LOT of parameters involved :
- Original jackets are 80 years old and the color may have faded.
- Original Kodachrome photos have a particular "color signature", especially in the browns and are misleading...
- Screen calibration

But generally speaking, some jacket manufacturers are better at it than others. I agree that Fivestar has some progress to make in this area (often very red leather).

Here is a picture of my Dubow BK "Liberty Horsehide Seal" which gives a good idea of the real color :

DSC_0388.jpg

Skyhawk

Always a brides maid never a bride.
Headwind Mfg Co's new Dark Russet Horsehide. The shade came from an original Perry HH 16175, with consideration also from an original Knopf no name contract from our collection:
IMG_20221216_110702506_HDR-PhotoRoom.png-PhotoRoom.png

IMG_20221216_110713370_HDR-PhotoRoom.png-PhotoRoom (1).png

IMG_20221216_110959081_HDR-PhotoRoom.png-PhotoRoom.png

ZuZu

I agree with your feeling Greg Gale.
I think the "Liberty Horsehide Seal" color from BK is really close to what you can see on the pictures of the original jackets.

I also agree that there are a LOT of parameters involved :
- Original jackets are 80 years old and the color may have faded.
- Original Kodachrome photos have a particular "color signature", especially in the browns and are misleading...
- Screen calibration

But generally speaking, some jacket manufacturers are better at it than others. I agree that Fivestar has some progress to make in this area (often very red leather).

Here is a picture of my Dubow BK "Liberty Horsehide Seal" which gives a good idea of the real color :

View attachment 92379

The jacket you posted does look very close to a WW2 color- but for every one of those there are a bunch of these:

245f6e4f3b1a13e223eb982f5b77fa06 (1).jpg

tumblr_nsf2xdRwLN1t5hadvo1_1280.jpg

Way too dark- way to shiny!