• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who makes the most accurate hi-quality A-2 budget Repro ?

bozko

Howdy All-I'm a newbie looking for the best quality & most accurate budget repro A-2 I can find.A responsive tailor/company re fit,color,etc is a big plus.I've read abt Platon,FiveStar,Headwind,etc-so any opinions welcome.
PS-I notice most of the manufacturers don't have an extra 'Made by...' tag hidden in the jacket (ie: Made by 5*/Made by Platon,etc). If I'm on Ebay/Etsy & all the repro has is the US military replica labels-how do i know which modern craftsman manufactured the jacket ? Brand new to the field,thanks very much for your patience.

Smithy

Like Rutger I've never owned a Platon but from the multitude of photos that have come by here, they really look excellent for the outlay. But one thing though with Platon is if you're over 6' pretty much forget it as they're short.

bozko

I guess some of these guys kind of have 'stealth' marketing re: search engine optimization & self-promotion.He sounds like a great craftsman.

johnwayne

If budget is key then patience is a virtue - personally not had a ‘budget’ priced new jacket so cant compare but like many here we’ve gone down the ‘used’ route before paying bigger bucks ‘new’although even secondhand Goodwear’s and ELC’s don’t come cheap any longer! The other major issue again as many here will testify is fit, because rarely can we try before we buy. I have heard/read here many times that even when measurements are correct sometimes a jacket just doesn’t feel right.
Not sure what my message is really other than it might take more than one attempt/ purchase to end up with the jacket you are ultimately happy with if you’re as nerdy as most of here are about our jackets!!!

Kermit3D

Hi!
Well, it's the vacations, I have time, I just came back from Paris, I have a belly full of "foie gras" and "Christmas log" so I'm going to start a post that may create controversy... :p but it's only my opinion.

I hope it will help the newcomers. From what I've read on the forum (for a few years), I could summarize the current production of A-2 jackets like this:

Historical accuracy : very good (for the A-2)
Quality of the jacket : very good (be careful with the knitting)
Quality/price ratio : average, high prices not always justified (around $1600)
Communication : very good
Delivery time : very good
Diversity of the offer : good
Possibility of custom measurements : only extra arm and body length.

Historical accuracy : very good
Quality of the jacket : very good
Quality/price ratio : good (about $1060)
Communication : average, long response time.
Delivery time : average, sometimes quite long.
Diversity of the offer : good
Possibility of personalized measurements : only extra arm and body length.

Historical accuracy : good
Quality of the jacket : very good
Value for money : good (about $750)
Communication : I think it's good
Delivery time : quite good
Diversity of the offer : quite poor
Possibility of personalized measurements : I think so.

Historical accuracy : excellent (the best)
Quality of the jacket : excellent
Quality/price ratio : good (about $1550)
Communication : excellent, but sometimes long response time
Delivery time : very long, you have to know that. Approximately 14 months, or more.
Diversity of the offer : excellent
Possibility of personalized measurements : jacket entirely personalized to your measurements

Historical accuracy : some jackets very good, others average.
Quality of the jacket : generally excellent
Price/quality ratio : in my opinion, too expensive (around $1900 - $3000...)
Communication : I don't know
Delivery time : I don't know
Diversity of the offer : average
Possibility of personalized measurements : I don't think so

Historical accuracy : very good
Quality of the jacket : very good (almost identical to Bill Kelso's A-2 Dubow)
Quality/price ratio : excellent (about $480)
Communication : average, long response time.
Delivery time : average, sometimes quite long.
Diversity of the offer : Only the Dubow 27798 contract
Possibility of personalized measures : no, only standard sizes.

Historical accuracy : quite good
Quality of the jacket : quite good
Quality/price ratio : very good (about $320)
Communication : good
Delivery time: good
Diversity of the offer : quite poor
Possibility of personalized measurements : I don't know.

Historical accuracy : quite good (if you choose the contracts based on original jackets)
Quality of the jacket : quite good (there were some problems on the horse skin, but it seems to be solved (?))
Value for money : very good (about $350)
Communication : very good
Delivery time: very good (I think)
Diversity of the offer : rather good (on historical contracts), too high on non-historical jackets.
Possibility of personalized measures : everything is customizable.

There are of course other manufacturers but I know them less.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Second all the above.

Although the only thing budget about Platon's jacket is the price. Quality and materials right up there with GW, BK and ELC.
But with the lower price, you sacrifice options (one jacket in two colour ways, no custom sizing) and maybe some issues with larger size grading.

My only regret with my Platon Dubow, was that I didn't order a russet at the same time I bought the seal. All the high end A-2 you will ever need (assume it fits right)
But.. Not sure they are taking orders now, if they are, just put your money down and wait.

The real 'budget with decent detailing for the price' jacket is between AVI and 5*
I have a number of AVI's jackets and love them.
No, neither AVI or 5* hold a candle to Platon's Dubow, let alone GW, BK, ELC etc.

Another option, maybe... If you can't et the Platon, is to look at Aeroleather's sale page from time to time.

Other than that, its secondhand.

bseal

“Budget.” Yes, I also read, Most accurate, high quality A-2 though.

With proper “budgeting” one can save up for a GW over the approx 14 months or whatever the true actual queue time is. About a hundred a month in your savings column is better than blowing money on sale priced Aeros.

75823810-1129-467C-AA12-568932961BA0.jpeg

Last edited:

Chandler

Budget would be under 500 gbp in my thinking. That narrows the market considerably.
What about factoring in satisfaction over the long run? How many of us have have gone cheap* in the beginning of our hobby only to realize we should have just bitten the bullet from the start?

7 jackets later (all in the $500 range when purchased) and I'm still not completely satisfied.

When, and if, I buy another jacket I'll finally do it right -- get my measurements down and talk with John about what I want.

Just my experience over years, your mileage (and budgets) may vary.

*relatively speaking.

Last edited:

mulceber

I will say, the possible problem with going GW on the first go-around is that, when you've never worn an A-2 before, you may not know what you want. If so, you (bozko) may find after wearing the jacket for a while, that you wish you'd gone for something different. I might suggest instead that you follow the Fedora Lounge's classifieds section, see if you can find a used GW at a decent price, and see how you like that. You'll learn a lot about what you like in leather jackets from your first jacket. Once you've worn it for a little while, you can then decide from an informed position whether you want to place an order with John and what you contract/details you want.

Chandler

7 jackets later (all in the $500 range when purchased) and I'm still not completely satisfied.
Sorry, 9 jackets later -- I forgot about the original closet turd and semi-turd. Neither of which were $500, but still added to the dissatisfaction and continued search.

So, $4,000* (+/-) later and I could have bought 3 Good Wears to my specs. Damn, that's sort of depressing. :(

(*I can probably subtract $2,000 from the sales of a few -- but the picture is clear from the start of the "obsession.")