• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who makes the best D-1?

Harlock

I've decided to make the D-1 my next jacket. RMNZ or Eastman? What are the pros and cons of each maker? thx!

Tim P

RMNZ shearling is just fantastic. their construction methods are truly mil-spec and every component screams quality and authenticity.

The intricacies of ordering one though puts me off unless you live in the Antipodes. Their sizing is odd too. Knowing enough about their A-2's to buy large, a 48 at least for me for a 44-46 frame..... their 48 B3 buried me. so will a D-1 be too big or will it fit like an undershirt......?

you shouldnt need to provide measurements for a D1 if you get my drift.

Eastman are now a safe bet since that awful phase of uber matte shearling they had, they will be cheaper and seem easier to size and to order no matter where you live. Avoid the time-worn, just belt sand it yourself if you have to. I can personally attest to the fact that an Eastman D1 survives a wash cycle (don't wear it wet though to shape it or anything as I suspect it would tear, not that you would anyhow) a large D1 from Eastman fits me just fine, neither too big nor too small. not a lot of room for layering mind you but a nice fit.

Aero offer decent looking products in shearling but I cannot comment on the actual items. don't dismiss them. Let someone else offer an opinion on them though....

Hope this covers the pros and cons.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
The intricacies of ordering one though puts me off unless you live in the Antipodes. Their sizing is odd too.

Yeah, I went to the factory for mine, but it's easy enough to order from Paddy by telephone, or email.

The sizing was also easy ... the Medium fitted perfectly, and the Large also looked fine if I'd wanted a little extra room. I wear a size 42 RMNZ A-2.

asiamiles

John Lever said:
Agree with all Tim says. RMNZ were leaders in sheepskins but with the demise of their tannery Fenland, they use different materials.
Eastman have reduced price jackets on the re-issue page -
http://www.eastmanleather.com/index.php ... 95a90f4a08
That's a great price. Less than one would pay for a used Buzz and way under what a used The Few/RM goes for in Japan. If I didn't already have a Buzz D-1 I'd probably grab that.

Clark J

If anyone is looking for a D-1 I have a Large Eastman(2yrs old,,still current production w/Crowns like new!)I'd let go.

riskyB

I too agree with the RMNZ assessment mentioned earlier. I have one of their older D-1's I picked up used a few years back. The fleece is really nice and thick and a nice honey color. Terrific workmanship. The size is large but the cut is fairly trim. My Eastman D-1 is also a large but cut much roomier. The fleece is quite a bit shorter and more yellow than honey. The workmanship is also top-notch but not quite the same as the RMNZ. The Eastman finish is also much shinier and smooth compared to the RMNZ. I like both but I would probably go swing toward the RMNZ.