• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who makes the best A-2 Namestrips

CBI

I am looking at another jacket project (A-2)and in the past have purchased A-2 leather namestrips from air corps colors and split S aviation. Any other ideas? The US Wings ones look good but are VERY expensive for a little strip of leather.

TankBuster

A Ebay seller was selling some pretty decent ones not too long ago for around $7. I can't remeber the seller name right now. Maybe someone else can chime in.

T-Bolt

I would also like to hear other people's opinions on the best nametag for the money. I hear Eastman/HPA has nice ones......but very pricey!

Ted

TankBuster

I really like Aeros, but their price ($40) and shipping makes them a total rip off. They have a very authentic look to them when matched up with a couple of my originals. Never seen a Eastman one, but I'm sure the price is comparable.
As I mentioned, this Ebay seller had some pretty good ones. Now that I think of it, J.C. (contrailschaser) had bought one. Maybe he could help out with the seller name?

zoomer

This seller is on eBay with tags for $8.
However - the type is Clarendon Extra Bold, designed in 1953 as a display font (titles, movies, ads etc.) and used mostly in the 60s and 70s!
e26d_1.JPG

Metal stamp lettering is VERY expensive except in Western styles used by toolers & crafters.

Here's a real WW2 tag for comparison.
2474423498_e018879486.jpg

This type is, AFAIK, unavailable anywhere today. It doesn't even turn up in the type catalogs, so it's probably very old.

shanghai joe

zoomer said:
However - the type is Clarendon Extra Bold, designed in 1953 as a display font (titles, movies, ads etc.) and used mostly in the 60s and 70s!
e26d_1.JPG

Metal stamp lettering is VERY expensive except in Western styles used by toolers & crafters.

This type is, AFAIK, unavailable anywhere today. It doesn't even turn up in the type catalogs, so it's probably very old.

thanks for education!

CBI

The guys on eBay are either Split S Aviation or Air Corps Colors in the $7-10 range. I was hoping for something a little better but when you get to those (as mentioned in other posts) you are looking at $18-40 which seems REALLY high for a little piece of leather with a few letters on it!!!!

The US Wings ones look pretty good and run around $18 but with the postage you are looking at over $20 ....... just does not seem right. I'm afraid its looking like the only quality options are the pricey ones?

Good info in re dating font styles!!!!!!

Thanks

SuinBruin

Flightsuits/G&B offers one, but I haven't seen it in person. $18 plus shipping. http://www.flightsuits.com/patch_tag_usaaf.html

I've purchased tags on eBay from sswr_resources and sommerandsons. The sswr_resources one is on really thin, flimsy leather that I don't think is appropriate. The sommerandsons one seems more accurate, and the letters are much more deeply embossed in the leather (so much so that they come out as smooth spots on the back of the tag). As for the fonts each vendor uses, that is well beyond my extremely limited knowledge.

bfrench

Administrator
zoomer said:
e26d_1.JPG

Hi, Guys,

Here's another from US Authentic but a little pricey.

USANametag.jpg

Bill French

zoomer

SuinBruin said:
Flightsuits/G&B offers one, but I haven't seen it in person. $18 plus shipping. http://www.flightsuits.com/patch_tag_usaaf.html
"We set your name by hand using steel letter dies identical to those used in WWII"
...yes, identical except for the type.
This is Times Roman Bold, which WAS around then, yes, but was used only in The London Times till 1944. Today it's the 2nd most used typeface in the world, but it sure wasn't then.
patch_tag_usaaf.jpg

Still looks better than the eBay one.

USANametag.jpg

The US-A looks best so far. I believe the type is Cheltenham or possibly Bookman Medium, classics then and now, too.

A

Anonymous

zoomer said:
The US-A looks best so far.

Thanks for that. Solid bit of forum info. I'd always opted for the Eastman but think they're also Times New Roman.

zoomer

Garcia Aviation has these nameplates for $12. They look closer yet to the mystery WW2 lettering.
picserve.cgi

Interested in making your own?
Tandy Leather has a nice plain gothic 1/4" stamping set for $29.95. I know I've seen this general look on WW2 nameplates.
8137-00-L.JPG

Regulation size was 5/8" x 4". 1/4" letters would be reasonably legible and leave 3/16" above and below for stitches and whitespace (tanspace?).
Here's a mockup I did from the above pic.
2475738741_629cf9f9e9_o.jpg

zoomer

BTW: I have since discovered thru the magic of The Google that the name CABIBBI is Italian and means "BASTARDS."
I assure you this was unintentional. I just made up a name out of A's, B's, C's, and I's (or thought I did).

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Folks,

We know the outline size - 5/8" x 4" with 1/4" lettering height but what was the thickness of the leather strips?

Bill French