• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who makes best Navy G-1???

Jaydee

AF[/quote]
That's weird! Maybe someone can enlighten us as to why. Here's the Specs:
http://assistdocs.com/search/search_basic.cfm
Enter mil-j-7823 in the "Document ID" field and hit search.

It clearly states in 7823E that leather shall be Goat or Kidskin. And in Amendment 3 in 1984 it changes to Cattle of Calfskin.[/quote]

Hi Jaydee,

I just went through the specs for the 7823E(AS), and sure enough the leather called for is goat or kid. But I also notice that mouton is specified for the collars, and we know that dynal was used from mid-1969 onward.

I think that it is pretty comon knowledge that many E-series G-1s were made of embossed cowhide, although there were also many E-series goatskin jackets. I'm not sure how the manufacturers were able to get around the specs, but maybe someone on the board can help us understand.

AF[/quote]

Hey AF, I just reread the Specs for 7823E. You are right about the real Mouton still being acceptable. However if you notice it also says "OR MIL-C-6590" (Cloth Pile, Sythetic mouton) can be used. What mfg in their right mind would pay to put on real fur when the cheap syn crap is good enough for the government? I think we have our answer, because apparently no one did! ;)

Atticus

Hi Folks,

I tried to find some photos of "Bessie" the cow G-1, but was only able to come up with these. Sometime soon, I'll try to take some better shots of her leather to show why I think that she is hardcore bovine.

Here she is on the hoof, so to speak. Notice the wrinkle pattern in the sleeves.

DSCN0506.jpg

And here's a shot of the sleeves of two D-series jackets and Bessie's sleeve. Can you tell which one is her's?

wisconsin144-1.jpg

AF

bfrench

Administrator
Atticus said:
Hi Folks,

DSCN0506.jpg

AF

By Gosh, Atticus,

Ye cuts a fine figure but we got to get you out in the sunshine more often to maybe get a smile on that mug of yours.

Snowman

Atticus

bfrench said:
Ye cuts a fine figure but we got to get you out in the sunshine more often to maybe get a smile on that mug of yours.

Snowman

Yeah. To love Africian American culture as much as I do, I'm definately melanin challenged. And as you can tell by the expression on my face, I'm not happy about it.

AF

hacker

Atticus said:
bfrench said:

Snowman

Yeah. To love Africian American culture as much as I do, I'm definately melanin challenged. And as you can tell by the expression on my face, I'm not happy about it.

AF

I always figured you was "red"..... :oops:

Hack

Jason

Atticus said:
Hi Folks,

And here's a shot of the sleeves of two D-series jackets and Bessie's sleeve. Can you tell which one is her's?

wisconsin144-1.jpg

AF

I'd recognise that shade of brown anywhere, even without looking at the grain pattern. The Imperial is the one to the right.

Call me crazy, but I actually like the Imperial.
Imperial7823E004.jpg

Imperial7823E006.jpg

The cow hide is quite nice, for cow hide anyway. I'll have to echo others sentiments that Star makes a nice G-1, but I've never seen a 7823E by Star. I've got a Ralph Edwards 7823E, and honestly I like the Imperial better. The cow hide used for the 7823E RE is to my opinion stiff and lifeless - lacking in character.
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

But for my money, nothing beats my 7823B by Irvin Foster. Whatta work of pure art.

IBFoster7823B_42001.jpg

DSCF0236.jpg