• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made this A2?

handworn

I have an original A2 with AAF decal on the left shoulder (with an original AAF patch put over the winged star, I suppose when the star began looking shabby with wear) and no label or lining stamp. It does have stitch holes where the label once was, and they're precisely the right size for the correct label (except Dubow's). No labels in the pockets. Can anyone help me guess who made it and under what contract? It's definitely not goatskin, and has no collar stand. Snaps by Rau. (And yes, the cuffs & waistband & zipper have all been replaced.) Notice the throat latch mistake-- "eyes" on both sides, rather than a hook and an eye. (I wonder if this was replaced when the zipper was.)

A2-01.JPG

A2-03.JPG

A2-04.JPG

A2-05.JPG

A2-06.JPG

A2-07.JPG

A2-08.JPG

A2-09.JPG

A2-10.JPG

A2-11.JPG

A2-12.JPG

A2-13.JPG

Roughwear

My first though was Aero, but the hanging tag is stitiched on using two rectangular lines of thread and these are much closer to the middle than on issuedA2s. It may well be a civi jacket bought during the war. Wonder what the stitch holes are from behind the collar?

FlyingToastman

handworn said:
I have an original A2 with AAF decal on the left shoulder (with an original AAF patch put over the winged star, I suppose when the star began looking shabby with wear) and no label or lining stamp. It does have stitch holes where the label once was, and they're precisely the right size for the correct label (except Dubow's). No labels in the pockets. Can anyone help me guess who made it and under what contract? It's definitely not goatskin, and has no collar stand. Snaps by Rau. (And yes, the cuffs & waistband & zipper have all been replaced.) Notice the throat latch mistake-- "eyes" on both sides, rather than a hook and an eye. (I wonder if this was replaced when the zipper was.)

quote]

I think its a redyed unnamed 27753 contact - the pockets are shaped the same along with the epauletts. it looks like a dark version of the one I used to own.

Christos

Roughwear

FlyingToastman said:
handworn said:

quote]

I think its a redyed unnamed 27753 contact - the pockets are shaped the same along with the epauletts. it looks like a dark version of the one I used to own.

Christos

Chris I have compared this jacket with my original 27753 and am 100% certain it is not this contract. Mine has United Carr snaps, not Rau. The hanger is stitched conventionally and the collar is bigger. The box stitching on the epaulets is longer too. I still believe it to be a civi jacket which was bought by a serviceman and some later date had the USAAF decal applied.