• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who else now prefers the A1 to the A2

dinomartino1

I don't know if it's just an age thing [I'm 54] but I now favour my A1 over my A2, it's now become my go to jacket, I thinks it's the obvious 20s 30s style of the A-1 that I prefer.
I really don't give a monkeys about what other people think about what I wear but it's the only jacket I regularly get compliments on from normal people
When I was younger I never would have worn a button up waist length leather jacket.
Now the strange thing about that is my A1 is a humble Bronson and my A2 is a Buzz Rough Wear.
Shearling jackets don't come into into the equation for me, it never gets cold enough where I live to wear one. If it did cold in winter here there would be one in my my wardrobe.

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

i get it about 20s-30s-40s style, but i have of late gone full on for hb mc-aviator jackets in 20s-30s detailing. all are repros now, as the original ones just never fit properly,, ie: tiny arm holes, back panels that have shrunk, smells, etc. there are now some makers out there that are making some seriously kickass 20s-30s jackets. gw, bk, aero, fw, rmj,, thedi, etc.

D97x7

Love my A-1 and am very much looking forward to giving it some decent wear as things warm up, it only arrived at the end of October, but do i prefer it over my A-2, hell no!

Smithy

I used to think the A-1 overly fussy with all the buttons and whatnot but it's grown on me over the last couple of years.

Do I favour it over the A-2? No way. The A-2 has all the WWII historic baggage with it as well which I love plus I think it still looks better.

Never worn an A-1 so can't comment on what they're like to wear but I'm not about to get one just yet.

But that's just me. Also the last bloody thing I need is more jackets!

Brettafett

A-2 all the way for me.
Although I do get why some like the A-1... Personally, the knit collar and all the buttons bugs me.

dinomartino1

A-2 all the way for me.
Although I do get why some like the A-1... Personally, the knit collar and all the buttons bugs me.

Yes I thought exactly the same and sat on the fence a long time before buying mine, but when I put it on my opinion changed, all a matter of personal taste though.
The Bronsons where ridiculously cheap when they first came out.

Last edited:

robrinay

My ELC A1 is much more comfortable than my ELC A2. My AVILTHR A1 is the most comfy to wear. Each has its own merits other than comfort so I’d say I like them all in their own way.

CBI

I enjoy both the A-1 and A-2, own both and love the history. However, I am really moving away from wearing vintage anything anymore as I think it looks too costume-ish. The flight jacket part of my vintage aviation hobby has become a mostly spectator sport. If I do wear vintage inspired now, its cloth.

zoomer

If I do wear vintage inspired now, its cloth.
The A-1 makes a great cloth jacket, usually in a wool melton or blanket cloth, but could really be adapted to summer fabrics as well. And of course there is its zippered cousin the 37J1.

B-Man2

The A2 jacket is a classic by any measure and is my first choice with just about any casual clothing I wear. However, the A1 does have its merits. It took me a little time to accept that while the buttons were a PIA to deal with, it really made the overall look of the jacket.

johnwayne

While I own both it is a tough one but neither are very versatile jackets, the A1 pocket size making it even less so! Technically they are also really what they're meant to be, summer jackets, but in this case the A1 moreso being lighter although in comfort terms personally I don't think there's any noticeable difference. I've probably had more compliments wearing the A1, possibly I think because the very obvious large buttons and softer leather give it a more stylish and dare I say expensive look to the person on the street. Tough call but IMO the A2 still just edges it and would be the one I'd keep if heavens forbid I had to cull my little collection!!

Rutger

The A1 has more twenties/thirties style to it, the A2 is the more robust. I like my A1 better than my A2's, but since the sleeves of my ELC A1 are just a tad too tight on my arms, out of a hundred times I wear either one it's the A2 99 times and the A1 just 1 time.

Nickb123

I prefer the A-1 on others and in photos-but from experience, learned I need a variant with a collar that sits a little more down rather than stays upright. It's a bit too formal for me. The buttons don't bug me as much as I rarely zip/button up, although this leaves a bit of an unkempt look. I made the mistake of going for an olive green when in reality a brown would have been more iconic and wearable. I do really like some of Headwind's stuff though. There was a Curtiss Jenny or something similar flying about the other day. I immediately thought of an A-1.

CBI

the mention above about the A-1 and A-2 really being jackets for mild weather/summer makes them problematic as wearers as when its nice out NO ONE wears any sort of jacket, at least around here.

Yes, in re cloth A-1 style!!!!!!!

Actually I wear polyester fleece all winter, practically live in it. I would love to see an A-1 style jacket made with thick poly fleece. Of course, totally NOT authentic but I have seen fleece with a decent "wool" look to it.

Marv

I really do like the A1 with the trim fit and soft capeskin and if sized correctly, a comfortable fit.....where as the A2 just has that historic hero look and feel to it however, with all the different contracts available and attempting find the best one for fit, it can be a never ending rabbit hole.

Personally, I have always found the M422a/G1 to fit me body type best giving the most all round comfort and even though I really love the A2, the G1 seems to look better on me for some reason.

I would say the A1 does give that 1930's classy look but it restrictive to the seasons where as the A2/G1 looks gives of more of a workhorse look and can be worn more times during the year.