• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White vinegar for removing musty smell from leather?

rob20uk

Hi All,

So I thought you would all like to know what the solution I found was. I tried the coffee in a bag for a week but that was not a perfect solution, although it did make it better.

In the end I called Eastman up and asked what they would do. Gary recommend Eastman’s liquid leather. It’s not that expensive at £15 for two bottles. The instructions say apply three coats of lotion to the jacket giving 24h between applications.

I did this and it has worked an absolute charm. The jacket smells and feels fantastic and the leather has not darkened in any way.

I would 100% recommend this.

Anyway I hope this helps someone in the future.

B-Man2

Hi All,

So I thought you would all like to know what the solution I found was. I tried the coffee in a bag for a week but that was not a perfect solution, although it did make it better.

In the end I called Eastman up and asked what they would do. Gary recommend Eastman’s liquid leather. It’s not that expensive at £15 for two bottles. The instructions say apply three coats of lotion to the jacket giving 24h between applications.

I did this and it has worked an absolute charm. The jacket smells and feels fantastic and the leather has not darkened in any way.

That’s great !
I know that odors have been an issue around here from time to time, but now we have something that works.
Appreciate your efforts .

rob20uk, Glad to here that it worked out for you! No damage to garment and all is well. Thanks for letting us know about liquid leather.

Sideslip

Hi All,

I did this and it has worked an absolute charm. The jacket smells and feels fantastic ….

That is great news! Just to confirm, is it this?
https://www.eastmanleather.com/apparel/124-liquid-leather-conditioner.html ?

Micawber

Hi All,

Does that product have its own scent?

CombatWombat

Late to the party (as always) but when I've gone on a summer ride (I'm "Down South" with Captain Couchy) and my jacket smells like a wet sheepdog or I've found a perfect jacket on The fleaBay that smells like it's been in a Wild West bordello I always hit it with some 50/50 lime juice and water....give it a wipe with it and it lifts sweat and mildew smells as well as smoker scents.... plus it smells lovely for a day.... though since motorcycle jackets are chrome tanned rather than veg tanned I can't advise on what it could do to the leather

Sideslip

I followed @rob20uk 's lead and spoke with Rob at Eastman Leather. They have a leather conditioner 2 bottle set (link in my previous post) at £29.99, but Rob @ELC recommended a waterbased cleaner plus the conditioner. Unfortunately, the water-based cleaner manufacturer has gone out of business, but he offered to put one in (swapping one of the conditioner bottles) as he has a few left in stock. I should receive it tomorrow and will give it a shot on my cologne infused A2. In passing, the ELC prices may be premium, but every time I have spoken with someone there, I have found them very very helpful as well as the free shipping for the bottles.

Interesting about @CombatWombat 50/50 lime/water mix, but cautious on veg tanned hide.

CombatWombat

I followed @rob20uk 's lead and spoke with Rob at Eastman Leather. They have a leather conditioner 2 bottle set (link in my previous post) at £29.99, but Rob @ELC recommended a waterbased cleaner plus the conditioner. Unfortunately, the water-based cleaner manufacturer has gone out of business, but he offered to put one in (swapping one of the conditioner bottles) as he has a few left in stock. I should receive it tomorrow and will give it a shot on my cologne infused A2. In passing, the ELC prices may be premium, but every time I have spoken with someone there, I have found them very very helpful as well as the free shipping for the bottles.

Interesting about @CombatWombat 50/50 lime/water mix, but cautious on veg tanned hide.
Well as motorcycle jackets are chrome tanned it works well but as I said in my reply I don't know what it might do to veg tanned leathers......I don't think it would be too much worse than being in moderate rain though

Sideslip

Well as motorcycle jackets are chrome tanned it works well but as I said in my reply I don't know what it might do to veg tanned leathers......I don't think it would be too much worse than being in moderate rain though
Fair enough, will keep that in mind as another option to try if this 4th attempt is unsuccessful!

ButteMT61

Note that I've never tried this - saw an ad last night and while I have no clue if it works, I might try some to see what happens. Not for leather in particular, but who knows?

War_Pigeon

Hi All,

Thank you for boldly going where none had gone before, and delivering!

rob20uk

Does that product have its own scent?
Yes but its not unpleasant and it seems to go the more you use the jacket. Gary said this is the same stuff they use on Rolls Royces when they are restoring the leather.

Last edited:

Sideslip

For what it's worth, the "cologne" scent I was ascribing to my jacket was probably some type of leather conditioner which had a strong, persistent aroma. I used the ELC cleaner and then applied the ELC conditioner (twice, sparingly about 1.5 days between applications) and the original smell has gone, replaced by the ELC leather conditioner smell. As @rob20uk mentions, it seems to fade the more you wear it, and certainly, I have been more drawn to the A-2 without the original smell. In summary, it seems to have worked and resolved a 5 month old problem for which I am grateful for those who have ventured forth; thank you.

rob20uk

For what it's worth, the "cologne" scent I was ascribing to my jacket was probably some type of leather conditioner which had a strong, persistent aroma. I used the ELC cleaner and then applied the ELC conditioner (twice, sparingly about 1.5 days between applications) and the original smell has gone, replaced by the ELC leather conditioner smell. As @rob20uk mentions, it seems to fade the more you wear it, and certainly, I have been more drawn to the A-2 without the original smell. In summary, it seems to have worked and resolved a 5 month old problem for which I am grateful for those who have ventured forth; thank you.
I can also confirm that after a few month of use the smell is still gone. I love that ECL conditioner :)