• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White paint on USN jackets

Nickb123

We’ve probably all seen photos of or have original USN jackets with remnants of white paint on them. If you browse listings you’ll find a few examples out there now.

I find it hard to believe that all of these were used as jackets to paint the house in post-service.

Does anyone know the real deal behind the white paint?

-Nick

Dany McDonald

The same applies to the pletora of B-15 (Mil and Civilian) and some G-1 to a certain extent, like my Monarch G-1 with remnant of paint. Always thought that those army/navy cheap stuff were used as chore garments after the war. N-1 were probably used by the Navy for chores too, why not.

My two cents anyways.

D

Skyhawk

When I served on board Aircraft carriers, the inside passage ways were always in a state of repainting. They are white to help brighten them up by reflecting light. They were constantly refurbing them section by section. Glad I worked on airplanes so I could avoid that job... lol.
I got white paint on my uniforms once in while. A lot of us did.

ZuZu

We’ve probably all seen photos of or have original USN jackets with remnants of white paint on them. If you browse listings you’ll find a few examples out there now.

I find it hard to believe that all of these were used as jackets to paint the house in post-service.

Does anyone know the real deal behind the white paint?

-Nick

I still think its's house painting. All those intervening years before it became a hallowed object. All those years where the jacket was an old reminder of "the service". All those years spent as an actual wearing jacket...

Tattoo A2

Ive also had a few original A2 Jackets in my collection over the years that had whiteish yellowish splatters on them, I always figured they were used by house painters after the war. Could never figure why someone would paint in a leather jacket, but then again, they were probably in every army navy store at the time and cheap enough not to give a shit if you wore it to your next painting job. As a kid in the late 60s and early 70s I would find US army uniforms thrown right in the garbage cans after the guys came back from Nam. Some guys just dont wanna think what they just went thru I suppose. Just my thoughts on the matter.

ZuZu

But why white? Primer?

Because back before the 70s many houses were white or off-white. I came to San Francisco in time (1978) for the Painted Lady thing- Victorians all gussied up with lots of color. Before that- white. I used an original N-1 for construction because it was a great jacket- it got a little paint on it. It didn't have the "preciousness factor" at all back then. A-2s and G-1s just starting to.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

With the abundance of fresh white paint throughout aircraft carriers, and paint spots on USN jackets, the connection can't be denied. The house painting I'm sure happened too.

The paint in the passageways would drip off of stuff from shoddy application. These guys were no professional painters. You didn't have to rub against it. An unlucky stroll though the ship was enough to get some drips on you.

As far as the N series jackets, yes the USN uses them. Mostly in the artic regions and Alaska.

When I was on the USS Independence, I scored a N3B off of a departing squadron mate for $10. I worked in it on the flight deck during winter in the North Korean Sea. The huge hood fit over my cranial flight deck helmet. I was pretty toasty in there during the fierce freezing rain and sleet. I was a skinny guy so I could fit my vest on over the coat. When I left I sold it on to another squadron mate, for $10 of course...pass it on...