• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which WWII A-2 Leather Did They Prefer?

jeremiah

I disagree. Some may not have cared or knew but let’s not discount that people like today were both picky and recognized quality. I certainly feel that some COULD tell a difference.
I think there was less crap mixed in with the quality back then and I know a war was going on but by the sound of “they didn’t think about it or care” I feel as though we are trivializing them to a degree.

Carl

What we have to remember is, these jackets were an issue item , no choice , just wear what your given .
Sorry KariJ I was writing this as you posted.

CoopDog

I just wonder if they noticed some were very stiff (horse) while others were more pliable (goat) when issued

B-Man2

Not trying to take issue with anything that’s being posted here however, I think the fact that the A2 jacket was considered a piece of uniform / flight survival gear diminishes the crew-mans ability to question or challenge what he was issued. Several of you have served in the military and can probably relate how gear was issued and how it might be dealt with, if you questioned or voiced a preference for one piece of gear over another of the same issued item . It would probably generate a very colorful response from the supply Sgt or Officer. Let’s not forget , this was WWII, a different war, a different mentality, a different generation. Standards for everything were different than today.

Last edited:

CoopDog

Not trying to take issue with anything that’s being posted here however, I think the fact that the A2 jacket was considered a piece of uniform / flight survival gear diminishes the crew-mans ability to question or challenge what he was issued. Several of you have served in the military and can probably relate how gear was issued and how it might be dealt with, if you questioned or voiced a preference for one piece of gear over another of the same issued item . It would probably generate a very colorful response from the supply Sgt or Officer. Let’s not forget , this was WWII, a different war, a different mentality, a different generation. Standards for everything were different than today.

No one is saying anything about complaining about what was issued. But there can be a huge difference in wearability when brand-new between horsehide and goatskin that many of us have noticed.

mulceber

No one is saying anything about complaining about what was issued. But there can be a huge difference in wearability when brand-new between horsehide and goatskin that many of us have noticed.

Agreed. I’m sure most people didn’t give it much thought, but I can certainly imagine some shooting the breeze and commenting that their budddy’s jacket is so much more pliable than theirs is, that it’s got a different texture or color, stuff like that. Some of them may even have had a background dealing with leather, and had opinions on the quality that they might voice to their friends, if the situation arose.

MikeyB-17

Of all the WWII AAC vet’s I’ve been fortunate enough to meet and talk to, none gave a rat’s ass about their A-2 or what kind of leather it was. They tended to look at me like I was a freak when I questioned them for details about their jackets!
This is what generated my response. We have talked about this many times, and guys who have met and spoken to vets about flight jackets invariably say the same.

Micawber

Of all the WWII AAC vet’s I’ve been fortunate enough to meet and talk to, none gave a rat’s ass about their A-2 or what kind of leather it was. They tended to look at me like I was a freak when I questioned them for details about their jackets!

This.

I've had the pleasure of meeting a lot of veterans, interviewing many and count myself fortunate for having done so. When the subject of clothing or equipment came up it was usually to do with inadequacies and difficulties encountered while at altitude. Some of the early guys said about the bulkiness and stiffness of the shearling gear but I don't recall one comparing leathers in A2's. The only comments about those were that they looked cool, were not warm and some bought or had patches or a bit of painting on them.
Some mentioned about uniforms, some about buying them others about getting items privately tailored or altered in order to look just that bit sharper while out on a pass.
Most were concerned with getting the job done and hoping to stay alive.
RAF erks moaned about the courseness of their uniform gear, while officers hardly ever spoke about theirs.
Those Axis aircrew met were generally not that interested.

Officer Dibley

My father served in WWII.
So did a lot of peoples parents/grandparents.
Both my grandfathers served in WW2. One grandmother worked in a munitions factory, the other making bombers.
One set of grandparents survived living in the East End of London through the Blitz then lost everything thanks to a V1. Both my parents earliest memories are of hiding in shelters whilst being bombed.
We Europeans know all about WW2 and respect all who lived through it in uniform and not.

Griffon_301

So did a lot of peoples parents/grandparents.
Both my grandfathers served in WW2. One grandmother worked in a munitions factory, the other making bombers.
One set of grandparents survived living in the East End of London through the Blitz then lost everything thanks to a V1. Both my parents earliest memories are of hiding in shelters whilst being bombed.
We Europeans know all about WW2 and respect all who lived through it in uniform and not.

Might be true if you live in a country that won the war, here in Austria it's the other way round...
Veterans always lived with the stigma of having fought for the worst dictator in history and nowadays they are openly attacked by the leftist ignorants that dominate the mainstream nowadays...
There is a lot of rubbish going on here about how the wars and the people who had to endure them are seen and this won't get any better or reasonable soon...
We have politicians here who label the Russian Revolution and civil war great because it removed the ruling class from power...
The same political party wanted to erect monuments for Che and Mao in Vienna to honour the heroes of the working class etc.while they openly want to trash war memorials to eradicate the memory of those who "supported" evil...

Something like the Bomber Command Memorial, or Capel le Ferne would be impossible here, even less Imperial War Museum or its dependencies...

Vae victis it seems...

Members online

Latest posts