• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

which watch with which jacket

Andrew

Wha'... the real thing Dave :shock: ? If it is then i'm not your man sorry. I'm afraid i'll be sticking with a good repro if I venture that way.
What's your impression and how did you come your way?

I agree with you Mel that big watches do have their drawbacks, and this one's aparently 46mm, but it's a little hard to appreciate without seeing it first hand. I'm just attracted to it's utilitarian looks and would probably prefer it if it were smaller.

I have a serious question. I collect expensive original A-2 jackets and I also have for practical reasons (expensive but cheaper) replicas of them. This is seen as morally acceptable. Now if one were to buy a replica of a specific expensive watch that would probably be frowned upon, so where's the difference? Is it possibly that the watches are recent or contemporary design and manufacture and are regarded purely as lowly pirated copies with inferior mechanisms?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
What's your impression and how did you come your way?

Check my profile. ;)

I have a serious question. I collect expensive original A-2 jackets and I also have for practical reasons (expensive but cheaper) replicas of them. This is seen as morally acceptable. Now if one were to buy a replica of a specific expensive watch that would probably be frowned upon, so where's the difference? Is it possibly that the watches are recent or contemporary design and manufacture and are regarded purely as lowly pirated copies with inferior mechanisms?

Yeah, I wondered about this, my liking of repro jackets seemed so unlike me ... but it's not the same thing. I detest fake watches, as much as you probably dislike original jackets that have been enhanced by later artwork, and/or with dubious provenance.

Repro jackets don't deceive ... they allow me to wear styles that I like, from an earlier period, made in the original materials. They are still honest, and there is no pretence ... unlike a copy watch, which may deceive others, but never the wearer.

helodrvr

Well said, David! When I owned a Rolex or an Omega, it was for the sheer pleasure of having such a lovely piece of craftsmanship which worked very well for me. The entire experience was excellent except for the extended maintenance.

The Rolex GMT I bought in 1971 became more and more costly. I felt the levels of repair became worse and worse. Shortly after its last return to Rolex for cleaning, lubing, and adjusting, one day when I unscrewed the crown to set the watch, the entire knob came out of the watch. That did it for me. For other physical reasons as well, I started wearing lighter, quartz watches. And though I still admire the beauty of a hand-made watch, I don't have the need to own them again. Now I find much greater uitility at a greatly reduced cost.

A fine repro jacket is something else again. I believe the better ones are truly made better than the originals, even though folks like John go to incredibly painstaking lengths to replicate the essense of the original. What is often overlooked is the fact that the A-2's and other vintage jackets were mostly government contract/government issued. I don't know how many of the folks here have prior military experience. But the key here is government contract = lowest bidder. That means meeting the military specification to the letter but also having the best price for the contract. As with anything that is mass produced, especially in clothing before computer controlled cutting machines and the like, some of the pieces assembled by some of the craftsmen and women were exceptional. Others were not. There was a very wide range of what was acceptable. For me, an original jacket is a marker of an era and the remaining piece of someone's history. I could not agree with David more. Being able to own a fine repro gives me the luxrury of having another piece of fine craftsmanship which also allows me to dress in the style of that era and enjoy the pleasures and utility of the designs.

Hmm, this has been a very interesting thread.

Hamsterbear

IWC 3706
IWCFlying.jpg

IWC3706-18.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnp9wpypZWE

Andrew

I can't but agree with both your comments, I constantly sell the message of the value of quality design and construction to my Clients as most of the time all many of them want is a facsimile without understanding the underlying principles. I also believe that good design and construction doesn't necessarily equate to most expensive and can actually be more affordable. Then watches aren't buildings.

However, I don't wear watches for others, so i'm not out to impress but for the first time in 9 years of solid service i've had to take my Bangkok Breitling to the Watch repairer to get a new pin in the bracelet... :cool:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
However, I don't wear watches for others, so i'm not out to impress ...

unlike a copy watch, which may deceive others, but never the wearer.

Exactly, you may not be out to impress others, but YOU know ... every time you look at it.

There's no pleasure in that. ;)

Andrew

Oh i'm more than happy with the BB, it's far exceeded my expectations.

I could justify wearing $1k on my wrist but I know that any more definitely wouldn't give me any pleasure :D

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
I could justify wearing $1k on my wrist but I know that any more definitely wouldn't give me any pleasure :D

Sure ... for a few hundred dollars you can buy a good new, or second hand watch, that is what it is.

With your budget you could buy a whole bunch of those nice little A-11's, and they wouldn't tear at your wrist knits. ;)

Andrew

deeb7 said:
Andrew said:

Sure ... for a few hundred dollars you can buy a good new, or second hand watch, that is what it is.

With your budget you could buy a whole bunch of those nice little A-11's, and they wouldn't tear at your wrist knits. ;)

That's exactly what I normally wear or used to until my Wife killed it in the wash (Elgin A-11, I loved that one), Longines 6b/159, CYMA RAAF (remember him?). The only problem with these is the cost of servicing- that and being told by every time by the Service guy that these are only for occasional use...

Actually a little (big really) birdie told me a while ago that you are the Man to see about getting fixed up for a good watch. When the time is right... :)

Andrew

deeb7 said:
Thanks, Andrew .... and get a new service guy. :?
Wish I could, but them's rare in these parts unfortunately. The market for fixing old watches has obviously died with folks buying cheap repros... Seriously, I need to get that one Omega SM that will last so keep that in mind.

deeb7 said:
Andrew said:
Anyone seen or own one of these? Bell and Ross. Approximately $5k :shock: so the answer''s probably not but i'm interested in getting a really good repro :eek: . Anyone know where to go? The range for the real thing is incredible and at 46mm across it's the closest thing to wearing an aircraft instrument strapped to your wrist.

I bought one yesterday, if you're looking Andrew. BR03-92, stainless with a black dial, essentially new, with all the packaging, and accessories.

IMG_0097.jpg

Bevan

A

Anonymous

Bought for my 18th in 1981, I still wear this although not as a daily wearer now.

Rolex01.jpg

My daily is a CWC stainless, quartz divers.

Dave

NW Carver

Hi everyone, I usually wear my Hanhart Luftwaffe watch with my A2 or one of my original 6B/159 RAF Omega pilots watches...though my Bell&Ross 42mm Carbon Chrono instrument watch looks great too!!

Clark J

Picked up this new Glycine Airman,real nice everyday watch.Nice size..38mm.Sapphire front and back crystals.
002-4.jpg