• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Jacket wearing USN Pilot on Photo ?

tamoko

What you think this is A-2 ? Big waistband, large collar, pockets flaps like Monarch or W&G USN
And this is USN Pilot. Looks like USN Jacket with out mouton collar.
navy_a2.jpg

Chandler

Me too, and an AAC/F hat (having kept the stay in place, so's not to become a crush), you can see
the difference in the eagle from the naval officer on the far left.

Guy in the middle with the sheepskin, AN-J4?

Chandler

tamoko

Which A-2 had pocket flaps shape like this ? Jacket fit like M-422 large body short sleeves.
Hard to see but cuffs and waistband looks large for A-2. If this is A-2 which contract is it early Aero 40-3785-P ?

Chandler

Looks like Roughwear shaped pocket flaps to me, difficult to see the shape of the whole pocket.

As to the "big waistband and large collar," I think that's your perception -- they look pretty normal
to an A-2 to me, just bagged out a little on the waist.

Chandler

tamoko

RW rounded pocket flap not like on photo. The bottom corners of the pocket flap are nearly pointy like on Aero

rpmooreii

If you are talking about the guy on the right...he is wearing an AAC cover...so I would suspect that the jacket is an A-2 worn by an AAC pilot

zoomer

Yes, the man at right is an Army pilot.

It was unusual at that time to wear the A-2 with the dress cover (then known by the quaint period term "cap.")

fishmeok

The cut (larger arms) and pockets look Dubow-esque to me. But then, everything looks like a Dubow to me...

I think it looks baggier in the waist because he is wearing higher waisted pants than we are used to seeing today, and the jacket is hiked up a bit. I always liked high-waists, cant wait 'till I get old and can wear 'em way up in my armpits.
Cheers
Mark

zoomer

As a clue to the date: the AAC authorized removal of the cap grommet early in 1942, and shortly thereafter, the khaki tie.

IIRC, the 13 tail stripes on Navy aircraft (this is a PBY) were used only for 4 months in early 1942 (cite), narrowing the date down even further.

Jaydee

zoomer said:
As a clue to the date: the AAC authorized removal of the cap grommet early in 1942, and shortly thereafter, the khaki tie.

IIRC, the tail stripes on Navy aircraft (this is a PBY) were used only in late 1940 and '41, narrowing down the date even further.
Wow! That's some in depth knowledge! :ugeek:

zoomer

I googled it real quick to come up with the cite. Still don't have one for the AAC cap thing but I can find it.

Chandler

zoomer said:
As a clue to the date: the AAC authorized removal of the cap grommet early in 1942

True, but that doesn't mean every AAF member went the crush-cap route, so it really doesn't pinpoint a date.

IIRC, the 13 tail stripes on Navy aircraft (this is a PBY) were used only for 4 months in early 1942

That's where I was lookin', and how about the Navy uni? Did they carry that darker material thru the war? We're all so used to seeing the lighter colors from the Pacific, but were other theaters wearing the darker version?

In reading a little about the Star Sportswear A-2 I discovered it usually had that pointed pocket flap, but the collar on this one doesn't look Star-like.

Chandler

zoomer

Chandler said:
IIRC, the 13 tail stripes on Navy aircraft (this is a PBY) were used only for 4 months in early 1942

That's where I was lookin', and how about the Navy uni? Did they carry that darker material thru the war? We're all so used to seeing the lighter colors from the Pacific, but were other theaters wearing the darker version?
That's Aviation Working Green, worn only in winter, and then only on air stations/carriers. It certainly wasn't associated with any important naval air campaigns, altho brownshoes in places like Alaska and England certainly wore it.

The AWG lasted thru Vietnam and since then has been officially authorized but unofficially discouraged. It's classed as a working uniform, and although it is no longer very functional, tradition does not allow it for dress or even off-base wear. As a result it's mostly seen as khaki shirt/green trouser combo under flightjackets these days. The Navy has plans to de-authorize it completely.

The Atlantic Command (surface and subs as well as airedales) had an all grey summer uniform in 1943-44, but it was not widely adopted and examples are now very rare.

Roughwear

Here are comparative shots of a pocket on my Doniger and Star originals. They are similar, but my money is on the Star looking at the collar points.

025-6.jpg

Doniger
028-1.jpg

Star

027-2.jpg