• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is original and new.

Steve27752

IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG
Which is an original 'G' mask and which is the new one?
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0588.JPG

Smithy

You'd think the top one was the repro due to lack of wear on the microphone assembly but I bet you've thrown a shifty one here to throw us and the bottom one is actually the repro ;)

Roughwear

You can pic up a Type 48 mic very cheaply Tim and having an original installed in the mask would be a nice touch Steve.

Ken at Aero Leather

The position of the lower copper pin on the wearer's left is slightly too high on the repro, meaning the webbing strap is slightly kinked.....appologies for the Nit picking, beautiful job!

coalman

I used to collect RAF flying clothing MANY years ago and remember paying £45 for a Mint G mask still in its box -still sealed up from a guy who used to run Quartermaster stores in London.
Always recall the advirts in Machine and Mart for his stock items- E type helmets at 50 pence each- C type Naval at £5 complete with looms and earphones...1941 flying boots at £15 a pair...if only I owned a Tardis LOL.
So if I wanted one of these G type masks where would I obtain one from? and more importantly how much?
Regards
John

Roughwear

A mint G-mask with oxygen tube will cost over £500 these days on a well known auction site. There are several dealers who sometimes have them for sale and good ones go for £600+ on their sites.

coalman

Hello Andrew

To be honest if I would only pay that kind of price if it came as a complete set of mint late C type helmet with loom in size 4, MkVII goggles and G mask.
BTW when are you going to publish the book on the Irvin?

Regards

John

Smithy

In all good time John. I'm still doing some research.:)

Dibs on a signed copy Andrew :)

You're right about WWII RAF gear prices, they've gone stratospheric over the last ten years or so, and especially early war items. Even prices for signed WWII RAF books, paintings, etc have shot up over the last few years - obviously due to the diminishing number left but some things are starting to command serious money, especially those related to the Battle of Britain and famous aircrew.