• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which Five Star Horsehide A-2 to Buy?

CoopDog

I think I want to give Five Star a try. I want a horsehide A-2. But I have no idea what contract to go with. I am 5’11.5” 175 lbs 34 waist. So a fairly average build. I have other A-2’s that fit so I can measure off those and figure out a fit.

But I don’t know how to decide which manufacturer. The collar, pockets other details are hard to discern over the web.

ausreenactor

In all honesty.....after 25 years of picking at them.. they are just like a Domino's pizza. They all taste the same... Brown leather jackets... with a few tweaks. Russet, seal and knit colour. Bold options..

Pick a FiveStar hide and then match it to a contract in the ELC book or JCs website... match the knits and see how it goes.

FiveStar's website is frustrating. Contracts are there but no ability to select the hide. If I wanted to start an email chain I would go with Good Wear or Bill Kelso.

Eastman is just pick contract in a 44 or 42 and boom. Done. That's what I like...

CBI

I agree..........................

5 Star IS doing an awesome job but I still think their A-2's are very hit and miss. Sometimes .............. wow pretty amazing, then others..........kinda yucky..............lots of "mehs" wish they would get this worked out. B-3's , Irvins .............pretty damn good.

CoopDog

What Era appeals to you most?
Pre-War, or War-Time?
Any particular Veteran you'd
like to emulate?
War time. I would like to emulate this guy, who I knew, but he is no longer with us and I don’t know which jacket he had. It looks most like a Monarch to me.

1674345404392.jpeg

herk115

I'm wearing a Five Star Star Sportswear size 50. Fits beautifully, like a 48, the hide is a fantastic mid-russet horse with slight fading and some texture, and it is easily in the top five of all the A-2s I've ever owned. Fantastic jacket. You might take a look there.