• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where would I find a button for a G1?

JOHNO

I have a 72 E series Star Sportswear G1 and I noticed one of the pocket buttons does'nt match the others, where can I find replacement buttons?

johnwayne

Ive seen several being offered on ebay - check this item no 190575477497 (its currently on ebay.co.uk but I think is a 'link' from the US as they are from the US!! Do a search for 'G1 jacket' which is what I did an up popped these ones. OK means you have to buy say 5 but they are only $9.75 BIN - it does inturn mean replacing both buttons but the chances of getting a perfect match are unlikely anyway. I'm sure JC at Goodwear might sell you one too and I recently bought some small 'backing buttons' for an A1 off Eastmans.

Cheers
Wayne

JOHNO

I got a set off of ebay, great looking buttons and they match the shiney buttons on my Cal Sports G1 perfectly but the buttons on my Star have a matt finish. How is the finish on the MASH buttons?

bjoy

JOHNO said:
I got a set off of ebay, great looking buttons and they match the shiney buttons on my Cal Sports G1 perfectly but the buttons on my Star have a matt finish. How is the finish on the MASH buttons?

I did buy some of the Sephia Brown buttons from MASH last year and they do have a bit of shine to them. They most closely match a 7823C I own but look "new" compared to the originals on the jacket.

MASH also sells a Middle Brown color which they say is for M-51 jackets.

I do have a bunch of original M-51 buttons which do look like a "middle brown", but they still have a bit of shine and also look a bit olive in a strong light. They are a fairly good match for a 7823D I used for comparison.

If you like, I would be glad to send you two of the M-51 originals (so you can have matching pocket buttons if they work for you) if you private message me an address.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
RCSignals said:
Rub some fine steel wool over them, the shine will disappear

It's true, and conversely a little metal polish will make the dull ones gleam ... now the replacement on my pea coat matches all the others.

JOHNO

Thanks guys, I replaced both of the pocket buttons so they match but if I can run across a matt button I'll put it back original. I'll also steel wool one, if it works out I'm good to go.

RCSignals

depending what the buttons are made of, spritzing a little solvent (lacquer thinner, acetone, etc) on them may give them a matte finish after they dry. but fine steel wool is the easiest.

JOHNO

Thanks for the tip RC, I used very fine scotchbrite and the buttons match the others perfectly!

Thanks again!

John