• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy Leather Jackets

Peter2020

Ah okay. So it is the same Shawn from Five Star.
didn't know that he also works for The Jacket Maker

@toAll

I like a jacket from The Jacket Maker, but I'm still undecided.
Does anyone still have a good address for good leather jackets?

I'm going to increase my budget to about 450-500

just write everything you know. Maybe I will choose a more expensive jacket when I see it.

If possible, no flight jackets. Prefer classic styles

regards

B-Man2

Ah okay. So it is the same Shawn from Five Star.
didn't know that he also works for The Jacket Maker

@toAll

I like a jacket from The Jacket Maker, but I'm still undecided.
Does anyone still have a good address for good leather jackets?

I'm going to increase my budget to about 450-500

just write everything you know. Maybe I will choose a more expensive jacket when I see it.

If possible, no flight jackets. Prefer classic styles

regards
I’m sorry I didn’t understand your question . I was advising that Sean is from 5 Star . I don’t know if that’s the same person at Jacket Maker. My apologies.

busdrivermike

what do you mean by classic style, motorcycle ?
in your listed price range I’ve used
San Diego leather they custom Made me a highway patrol
Jacket when I was 80lbs heavier, they didn’t even up charge me, kept it
The same price as on the rack, probably because I was in the store/factory
They even let me choose the leather and thickness I wanted.
They make a lot of stock in the states, also import stuff, they usually tell you
In the description and they do custom made.
I currently am the proud owner of a very awesome but not historically correct
B3 from noble house, they make great jackets for your dollar
I have 2 jackets from branded by orchard of New York, great jackets
Great prices, made in America, I don’t know what happened to their website
But they still have a Facebook page and a phone number online.
I also have a Chicago police jacket from Taylor’s leatherwear, they mainly
Do ‘classic’ police jackets
I would not be afraid of fivestar , I have a jacket on the way to them to be reproduced
In my size, I’ve never had one of their jackets yet but a few on here do and quite like them.
so I’m personally not worried About it.
948D1733-460D-497A-B9F9-6C11EAB71CDA.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter2020

@busdrivermike

I should have mentioned that, also no motorcycle jackets a la Elvis Presley with this "wing collar" :D
Styles you can find at Aero under the menu "Aero Jackets"

I don't know exactly how to call these jackets. "Vintage", "Classic", "Retro" ....? : D
It doesn't necessarily have to be a 1: 1 copy of any jacket from that time.

Thank you for your many tips where I can look :)))

I would be interested in the Highwayman jacket by Noble House but I'm not sure if horsehide is really the right one for me. I'm more of a cowhide type.

@B-Man2

No Problem ;)
either it's the same Shawn or the name is just popular in Pakistan :)
I think it's the same Shawn. As far as I know, The Jacket Maker works with many jackets manufacturers regarding custom made jackets.

busdrivermike

Your are welcome, I know the struggle to find what I want for what I can afford.
Aside from what I listed I also highly recommend thrift and vintage shops
I’ve come across phenomenal jackets from the 60s and 70s, unfortunately my size
Is rare in vintage leather so I’m going the custom route with fivestar
I spent $20 on the 60s jacket at value village that I’m sending to Shawn.
if you have a local leather Taylor that’s also a very good option.
I used to know a Leather Taylor 30 years ago he made me jackets either from
Pics, or from jackets I brought in, I miss that crazy man, great jackets, strange conversations
lots of homemade wine and 7 dogs constantly wanting your attention he worked out of his house
On a popular corner for hookers.

London Cabbie

I've got a Wested Raiders in cowhide and bloody love the thing. Well made, lovely leather, super easy to wear and practical, and interestingly enough has probably elicited more nice comments than any other leather jacket I own, and that's including those which cost many, many times more than it.

The Wested Raiders is great after a wash in the machine...

Smithy

Ask them if they still have the "soft seal brown cowhide". It is one of the nicest leathers, strong yet has a wonderful soft drape and develops beautifully with wear. It is also a lovely rich milk chocolate colour which wears to an oak wood colour on the high wear points.

Peter2020

Ask them if they still have the "soft seal brown cowhide". It is one of the nicest leathers, strong yet has a wonderful soft drape and develops beautifully with wear. It is also a lovely rich milk chocolate colour which wears to an oak wood colour on the high wear points.

I would like to have a Raiders jacket in black :D:D:D

Smithy

I would like to have a Raiders jacket in black :D:D:D

I'm sure they'll do it on a custom order, in fact I've seen one before. The custom Raiders is the way to go anyway when ordering one as you can dial in the sizing which is the best with the Indy/Raiders pattern.

Peter2020

I'm sure they'll do it on a custom order, in fact I've seen one before. The custom Raiders is the way to go anyway when ordering one as you can dial in the sizing which is the best with the Indy/Raiders pattern.

Unfortunately, no. Wested told me that you can only choose what is available in the custom made menu. There is no black colour :(
otherwise I would have ordered them long ago
I don't think they want that... that would be a kind of treason :D

Smithy

They must have changed things because there was a chap over at the Hat Place which had a black one, admittedly this is about a decade ago.

I just had a look on their site and you can get one in black albeit it lambskin, but that shows they're not adverse to making an Indy jacket in black.

They have several different black hides so just ask them to do a custom in one of them.

Peter2020

Oh yes, I see it. Black Nappa.
Would this leather look good on the jacket? Nappa is actually something for overpriced designer jackets ?

Smithy

Oh yes, I see it. Black Nappa.
Would this leather look good on the jacket? Nappa is actually something for overpriced designer jackets ?

Here's their leather guide:

https://www.wested.com/leather-guide-35-w.asp

If it was me and I wanted a black jacket I'd get their "standard black cowhide" but that's just because I like the resilience of cowhide (it's a damned sight stronger than lamb) and how it wears and ages.

Just ring them up and say that you want them to make a Raiders in either the black lambskin, cowhide, etc.

Peter2020

Nice Jacket :)

the black nappa in the pictures of wested somehow looks better than what I know from designer jackets. Maybe that would also be a good choice for warmer days as it is not as thick as cowhide?

busdrivermike

Wested are great jackets, I found one at a value village last summer for $20
Size 44 to small for me so I sold it at a flea market here for $100
I was very impressed with the goat leather, the stitching and liner it was a very good
Quality jacket, if it would have been my size I would have kept it

busdrivermike

@busdrivermike

maybe you can try The Jacket Maker :)

I ordered a standard jacket there. Let's see how the quality is
They have a nice site, apparently have good customer service jackets are produced in Pakistan
According to the business insider, they appear to make a nice jacket especially for the budget
Minded like me, it would be interesting to know how custom you can go, I prefer thick leather
Good for motorcycling and for Canadian weather.