• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you store your jackets?

s4rmark

Hi all,
I’ve run out of space in my ELC storage system and would like to know how you good people on the forum go about storage of your leather/ shearling jackets . There’s no way I’m going to put them on hangars for extended periods of time for fear of damaging them. I like to store them flat. There is the possibility of searching for a large chest of wood drawers to replace the cardboard ELC system, but looking on the net most don’t seem big enough to store jackets in. So, what suggestions do you have?

Smithy

I don't overthink it. If it's heavy and/or bulky like my Irvin or Barnstormer I chuck it on the floor. If it's light like an A-2 it goes on one of those wide shoulder clothes hanger jobs.

When we lived in a small apartment back in the day I used to throw the heavy ones under the bed to keep them out of the way but that was when I didn't have a huge amount.

Carl

Leather/shearling Just laid flat in my wardrobe
Cloth is on hangars or dummy torso depends whats on show ! :)

Carl

Hi all,
I’ve run out of space in my ELC storage system and would like to know how you good people on the forum go about storage of your leather/ shearling jackets . There’s no way I’m going to put them on hangars for extended periods of time for fear of damaging them. I like to store them flat. There is the possibility of searching for a large chest of wood drawers to replace the cardboard ELC system, but looking on the net most don’t seem big enough to store jackets in. So, what suggestions do you have?

You bought the ELC cardboard box ???? :eek:

s4rmark

It’s good if you don’t overload it like I have, just one jacket per box and its great. If you put too many in then it’s a struggle to get the drawers open. The system is pretty moth proof too as the tolerances are quite tight on the drawers. My mrs bought it for me years ago.

Carl

It’s good if you don’t overload it like I have, just one jacket per box and its great. If you put too many in then it’s a struggle to get the drawers open. The system is pretty moth proof too as the tolerances are quite tight on the drawers. My mrs bought it for me years ago.
Might be some scope here for me to start making somthing for jacket storage ?? o_O:)

D97x7

P_20181130_102759.jpg

Only joking, mine are kept on hangers lined with pipe lagging.

Steve27752

ELC monarch A2 (only one now) on a hanger lined with pipe lagging in the bedroom wardrobe, ELC Irvin flat in it's box in the garage (Anti moth devices installed).

917_k

I’ve just bought an ELC A2 which I’ve currently just thrown on a hanger in my wardrobe, is this a bad idea? (It was second hand, so no box to store in)

Steve27752

I’ve just bought an ELC A2 which I’ve currently just thrown on a hanger in my wardrobe, is this a bad idea? (It was second hand, so no box to store in)
Yes, it's a bad idea. I use a soft foamy pipe lagging that I wrap around the hanger.

B-Man2

My apologies to those guys who’ve seen this before , but this is how I hang some of my A2’s that are my daily wearers . Large towels taped around a wood hanger. The rest of the jackets I lay flat in a closet.
3D8FD14F-24A5-4E70-9288-47ADEDDAE36C.jpeg
D9BCB94E-36DD-4474-8D62-B721EBE31C91.jpeg

917_k

Yes, it's a bad idea. I use a soft foamy pipe lagging that I wrap around the hanger.

Thanks Steve, that's good to know. I'll remove the jacket tonight and sort out a better method of storage, trouble is I'm now running out of space.....

MikeyB-17

Most of mine live in a pile just inside the front door. My G-1 has been in the boot of the car for months. In the summer I will roll up my B-3 and keep it in my ELC AN-6505 bag with some cedar wood chips.

dmar836

My originals are on thin wire hangars in the attic. Actually, they are all on the floor in a spare bedroom.

johnwayne

My jackets are all in a pine wardrobe, cedar moth cubes inside, stored on hangers that are both wide enough to reach shoulders seams but also thick at the ends to support the jackets. They are also in suit bags and finally after much nagging from my wife, there is an inventory printed off and pinned to the door listing which jacket is which (with pics) with description and approx value to my best guess based on regular eBay and VLJ buy/sell values - done in case one day the big man in the sky decides I'm on his hit list! Seriously, it's no different to jewellery or such with a higher value and I'd hate to think they'd end up at the local charity shop and sold for peanuts after my outlay over the years (good for the charity shop maybe even though I'd not be around)!!