• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do I go to have zipper replaced and repaired?

Jorge_GC

I've recently acquired a pretty good condition 1974 MA-1, but the main zipper is showing it's age.

I've got my hands on the Scovill zippers which should be the identical replacement, now the question is do you guys know where / who will do these types of repair or replacement? I hesitate to take it to any random tailors since I am worried they might not have the correct nylon thread or skill set to do so.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Skip

Jorge, There's a few guys here that do repairs on leather type jackets. Also Dave from Diamond Clothing CO (https://www.facebook.com/diamondclothing.dd/) has been making some repro nylon jackets so he may either do it or point you somewhere, he's in the US. If you're in the UK Aero Leather would do the job, also other members that live in the UK I've heard have found some good tailors that could do the job, hopefully they will chime in.

Jorge_GC

@Steve, I know Dave from Diamond Clothing and in fact, I did email him about it, and he's simply too busy to pick up any repair works. :(

unclegrumpy

This is a place in the Bay Area I know several people use. I have had several G-1's recuffed there over the years...though I did not do anything, but send the jackets to a friend of mine who lives in the area, who then had the work done, and then gave the jackets back the next time I saw him:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/advanced-e...rK0ZoIFf744COg&rh_type=phrase&rh_ident=zoltan

Not my jacket...but from their website:

o.jpg

Jorge_GC

Oh, this is great to know, thank you so much!

Speaking of G-1 repairs. I actually had a great experience with Johnson's Leather on Polk street in San Francisco. They actually fixed up a G-1 that I have earlier in the year. I'm just not sure they'll (Johnson's) repair nylon jacket though, that why I ask. It looks like I will reach out to Advanced European Tailoring then. Thanks!