• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do I get a new goatskin 3/4 length coat?

Who

Okay... so here's the thing. I don't want to pay over $650 US, nor do I want a vintage jacket (sizing and wear issues irritate me). I'm after a good, but not best quality, jacket in black goat that is like the 1940's-50's Hercules Sears jackets you see around. Gene Hackman wears something like it in Hoosiers, only I think his might be horse hide (a hide I don't like). I don't want to pay Aero prices so I think I might be stuffed. Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

bseal

Hackman is wearing a Sears Windward in dark horsehide (you are right).
They lightened the coat and reversed the image (see the zipper?) for the DVD cover.

What is your size? ;)

bseal

There is a nice Gordon & Ferguson on ebay and listed here for under six. It is closer to a
42 T than the 44-46 he has it as.

bseal

Who said:
Okay... so here's the thing. I don't want to pay over $650 US, nor do I want a vintage jacket (sizing and wear issues irritate me). I'm after a good, but not best quality, jacket in black goat that is like the 1940's-50's Hercules Sears jackets you see around. Gene Hackman wears something like it in Hoosiers, only I think his might be horse hide (a hide I don't like). I don't want to pay Aero prices so I think I might be stuffed. Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.

D'oh! I can't believe I overlooked the obvious. Send him your images and measurements.

http://magnolic.ipower.com/catalog/inde ... 1545d4fbab

Who

Thanks guys. Not sure about Magnoli. How's the quality - I understand his gear is all made in India - what about the stitching and leather?

That ebay jacket is lovely looking...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Who said:
- I understand his gear is all made in India -

Is that right?

I'd assumed that all the 'one off' garments, like the shoes, suits, and leather, would be made here in NZ.

Who

deeb7 said:
Who said:
- I understand his gear is all made in India -

Is that right?

I'd assumed that all the 'one off' garments, like the shoes, suits, and leather, would be made here in NZ.

Via email Magnoli told me his leather gear is made in India. Originally it was made by the same Asian company that did Colorado's gear. I understand that they use YKK zips and that the stitching is neat and solid. But my real question is how long will they hold up? I've had leather jackets made for me before in Australia and they look great until you put them on two years later and you notice that the lining is in shreds and the stitching is coming undone... My feeling about a leather jacket is that a decent one should last a lifetime without too many issues.

I guess India is the choice if you want affordable labour costs and you need to keep the price right down.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Who said:
Via email Magnoli told me his leather gear is made in India. Originally it was made by the same Asian company that did Colorado's gear.

Hah! .... well I'm crossing him off my list.

... my real question is how long will they hold up? I've had leather jackets made for me before in Australia and they look great until you put them on two years later and you notice that the lining is in shreds and the stitching is coming undone...

Those rascals, eh? I'm not sure how that relates to New Zealand, or India, bur there's a bunch of them here on the forum.

All I know is that they sure make good boots. :)

Who

I'm an Australian. What I meant was that I've bought "cut price" leather before which turned out bad. There are good leathers to be bought is Aust but they cost - like anywhere else, I guess.