Where can i find repro Crown zipper for my A-2 jacket?

Discussion in 'Repros' started by wittmann, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Hanger chain for B-3
    I have some NOS from WW2.
    PM if you still need some.

2. Garylafortuna

Garylafortuna Active Member

Eastman A-2 manual lists only Crown for the Dubow 20960. If it is impossible for you to find one without having to take a second mortgage on your home, then you may have to go with Talon. I have a Goodwear Dubow 20960 with a Talon zipper, and it is not a replacement. John would be the man with the answers to your dilemma.

Earloffunk likes this.
  3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

4. wittmann

wittmann Member

Morning everyone,
    I sent several PM to JC of Goodwear (buzzthetower) last week and also sent two E-Mails to info@goodwearleather.com, but since then always nobody replied me, is it normal for JC?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  5. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

Unfortunately yes.

6. wittmann

wittmann Member

thank god, he wrote me back!!!

7. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Well-Known Member

So, what did he write?

ausreenactor likes this.
  8. SuinBruin

SuinBruin Well-Known Member

I believe Buzz Rickson makes a repro Crown chevron zipper, and licenses it to ELC (or maybe it's the other way 'round). From what I know, neither BR nor ELC will sell a repro Crown zip by itself. So, you're probably out of luck. The only workaround I can see is buying an ELC or BR A-2 with a Crown zip, buy a (repro) Talon or other A-2 zip, have a tailor swap out the zips on the ELC/BR A-2, and then sell the ELC/BR A-2 (disclosing, of course, that the zip has been replaced). Then you have your repro Crown. Byzantine, I know, but I don't see a feasible alternative, unless you want to spend the time and money to track down an original NOS Crown chevron, which don't exactly grow on trees.

wittmann likes this.
  9. wittmann

wittmann Member

Hi SuinBruin,
    thanks for your Suggestion! I got confirmation from ELC, that they replace the Zipper for their customers only for ELC manufactured jackets, not for other jackets. And ELC doesn't sell their Repro Crown seperately.

Actually I wanna replace the Zipper with a vintage NOS Crown Chevron from 40s' on my Goodwear Dubow 20960, but right now I changed my mind, i'm gonna use repro Crown, because I'v heard that the NOS Chrown tape is too weak, although they are new, but NOS Crown slider is much stronger.

I'm thinking of removing the Repro Crown Chevron Zipper from my ELC AN-6505 1 Kit bag, but it's too short for A-2 jacket......

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  10. Earloffunk

Earloffunk Well-Known Member

So, what does Goodwear tell you? That would seem the easiest route to go.

Flightengineer likes this.
  11. wittmann

wittmann Member

not that special, just about general Information for repro/NOS crown Zippers. I'm wainting for his next reply about the cost of Zipper replacement.

12. wittmann

wittmann Member

Here is the current YKK Zipper on my Goodwear Dubow 20960. The original Crown Zipper was broken and replaced by 1st owner.
    I have to say, this UGLY YKK slider slides so smoothly than any Repro WWII Zippers.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Flightengineer likes this.
  13. Southoftheborder

Southoftheborder Active Member

Yes, YKK zips are looked down on but they do work. Riri are the best of all IMO and are a smooth as a baby's bottom. I've had repro Crown zips on Eastman's and thought them a bit fragile. I've still got one of the aluminium ones on an Eastman C2 and that needs very careful handling. I don't trust it at all.

14. wittmann

wittmann Member

you're right, maybe I should keep this YKK Zipper on my jacket, because I don't need worry about it.
    For the replacement with crown Chevron Zipper i gotta invest about 200€ at least (material, repair cost, double postage...), it seems not that worth it

15. Clark J

Clark J Well-Known Member

The YKK zipper box kind of looks like a Crown,,, same basic shape I mean my be try to find a Crown pull on slap it on .

16. wittmann

wittmann Member

The YKK looks like following Talon zipper with rectangular puller
    [​IMG]

Southoftheborder likes this.
  17. Clark J

Found this shot[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. wittmann

wittmann Member

Hi Clark, it's screenshot of ELC Repro Crown Chevron Zipper on their official Website, they don't sell it seperately

19. Clark J

No my point was the U.K. zipper box is small and roundish like a Crown so if you could find at least a Crown zip pull it would look better than replacing the zip

wittmann likes this.
  20. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

A4D65355-2A4A-4582-A449-924213E4D22B.jpeg 7C64DCEC-2DF3-4DE5-867B-4258DA9DEEC8.jpeg

Out of my A-11 trousers stock...
    Happy to help out...
    PM me if interested , happy to sell one of these.

wittmann likes this.