• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's This?

tda003

Amazing original or (likely) a repro, but by whom?
AN-J-3.1.jpg
AN-J-3.2.jpg
AN-j-3.4.jpg

Chandler

Same company as your Flight Suits A-2. FS changed its name to Gibson & Barnes right after they made that A-2 I sold you.

Funny that they made this AN, because I had them make an "ersatz" AN for me way back when. Basically a G-1 with a plain collar. They placed their G-1 label in it, too. It gets wear in my seasonal rotation.

FWIW -- G&B still sells jackets through its website.

tda003

Research shows that G&B made up this jacket but discontinued production when it didn't sell. Stands to reason. It's a true niche market. The originals didn't last long, especially since Gen. "Hap" Arnold went from leather to fabric for the Army at around that time and the Navy/Marine Corps had the G-1 (M422A).

Chandler

Check out this thread from 2008, particularly post 11 by Bill French. He had FS/G&B make an AN for him back when (sort of like I did).

Maybe because we asked for them they thought they would sell. Dunno.

tda003

Chandler, Thanks for sharing that. It always interests me to learn some new piece of history.
Waiting for the shipper to open so I can get the jacket shipped. California time vs. Florida Panhandle time.

Chandler

He had FS/G&B make an AN for him back when (sort of like I did).
I should have pointed out how much better his example looks than mine -- he gave them specific instructions, I just asked for their Civilian G-1 without a mouton collar.

And no collar snaps -- which they, somehow, misconstrued to mean WITH collar snaps.

Oh well, I still wear it in rotation, and it works when I need a leather jacket that isn't so rugged looking.

Can't wait to see your example.

tda003

tda003

Sorry. Too many interruptions today. I have edited to correct mistakes. The pics are posted under "AN-J-3 Copy?"