• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats it called?

Tim P

Whats that sage jacket known as? Single skin, hip length, cotton with a four pocket front with wierd angulation on the pocket flaps which close with green painted snaps. I think it has a knit collar too...

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
Whats that sage jacket known as? Single skin, hip length, cotton with a four pocket front with wierd angulation on the pocket flaps which close with green painted snaps. I think it has a knit collar too...

Sounds like the oddball CWU-7/P ground crew jacket. Until just now I'd only seen them dated 1974, but see below for an example from FY '65-'66:

http://markhitcom.mysinablog.com/index. ... Id=2825850

Is this the one you meant?

Tim P

Thats the one Jim. Not single skinned after all...
Did it replace the shawl collar sateen jacket?

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
That cwu7 is a wierd jacket mind you

I agree, but for me it holds a special place as my paternal grandfather wore a '74-dated example for years as a civilian employee at Griffiss AFB. Unfortunately the base and my grandfather have been gone for years, but I still have the well-used jacket. I've also acquired the corresponding trousers, and there was a parka designated CWU-8/P made of the same fabric. It had an unusual hood featuring fleece-lined side flaps to protect the wearer's face from the elements. My grandfather also gave me one of these, but it disappeared sometime in the 1980s. Finally, he gave me an orange-lined MA-1 of '60s vintage and in good shape. What was interesting about this particular jacket is that it bore the faint remnants of a USAF sleeve decal. I can only assume that someone added this of their own volition, but I wish I still had it to share with the forum.

PaulGT3

I am continually amazed at the expertise on this board. AMAZED!. I bet I could find a One-off military jacket and describe it in some hokey
way (not like you Tim you did a great job) and someone would point out the correct name!!!

Tim P

Give it a go!!!!
By the way, I loved mammoth when I visited.
I never had a CWU/7 but my first ever jacket was a USAF shawl collar. There were (and still are) a couple of gay guys living over the street from my parents. I would chat to the one who was always tinkering with his car. He would wear a civi tanker jacket to do it. Well I was enthralled because I had a read to death osprey book about ww2 gi uniforms. I used to near cry when that tanker (of ww2 type to my young mind) used to get oil all over it.
Anyway, these guys had had some association with a staff sergeant in the USAF, stationed at RAF Croughton. They gave me his shawl collar jacket with blue tape in situ and Ssgt insignia. I wore that jacket for years as a kid and only a couple of years ago replaced it ( adding the insignia where necessary to match my old one)

watchmanjimg

Peter, these jackets are somewhat rare but in my experience they're not terribly expensive. I don't think they ever "caught fire" with collectors the way many others have.