• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever Happened to the Goldsmith A2?

Officer Dibley

And the fact that at least 2 forum members have one but have remained thunderously silent makes one wonder if they are happy with tgeir Goldies or not .....

Persimmon

I think that because no-one can answer the original question, we have moved on to other things ! :D
Right. At least a conversation is being had now. Ha.
What did you want. A thread being buried at the bottom again. No one appears to know anything new. Since most of what’s known about the goldsmith is conjecture anyway from old photos, why not discuss other things that ARE related and fall into the “conjecture” label as well?
And the fact that at least 2 forum members have one but have remained thunderously silent makes one wonder if they are happy with tgeir Goldies or not .....

Well the question was what ever happened to the Goldsmith A2.
As two manufacturers were planning on and one ( Aero ) did release a variation then any info on these two manufacturers who were/are/have produced these A2 Goldsmith jackets was the answer being originally sought.

Ken has answered for Aero. No Aero made jacket owners have come forward. As yet !
Not sure they would now as their input would be no doubt been lost in the great grain wear types of leather war.

The other manufacturer has not produced finished jackets yet and Jay has not responded. Again Yet. He might and I keep tuning in to see if he does. Or those forum owners who have bought do.
Instead I get another thread .........
So in summary that is the up to date answer to the OP thread question.
Now why not create a thread all about the too little too much grain and too little too much wear and whether leather made by this method or that method is best/correct/ etc etc etc etc etc.
Another thread would be ideal so as to leave this thread alone in case any Goldsmith owners or the two manufacturers or maybe more if Platon releases one ( perhaps Platon can be unbanished so that we might know !) comes a calling.

If only it was the good old days when threads were on the question asked.

Micawber

Thread drift is a natural part and parcel of most groups and forums unless said groups and forums are watched over 24/7 by admins and moderators or self appointed members who are strict about enforcing a no thread drift policy. Been there, done that both as an admin and mod. Boring.

B-Man2

When I asked the subject question of this thread , I was hoping to hear from Jay at Headwind and have him give us an update on whether the Headwind version of the Goldsmith was ever going to be released . To date the only real new info that’s surfaced was that the Headwind website was down. I don’t know if this is an indication of anything, but not having heard from Jay on any of this does leave some cause for concern. My personal feeling in all of this is, disappointment in not seeing the jacket come to completion, and extreme disappointment if in fact Headwind has gone under.
Not hearing from Jay throughout this thread has not helped in alleviating those concerns.

Last edited:

2BM2K

The Headwind website is more than just down.

The notice on the page states that the domain name has expired, which means that the next year(s) payment
has not been made. Which is not good for an online business.:(

B-Man2

The Headwind website is more than just down.

The notice on the page states that the domain name has expired, which means that the next year(s) payment
has not been made. Which is not good for an online business.:(
I just posted you a like , not because I liked the info but because I appreciated your input. This is very disheartening. Seeing one of your own fail, at a business that was probably started as an indirect result of this forum is sad. I really hope that’s not the case here and that there are some extenuating circumstances that will explain some of this activity. However this turns out, I wish Jay the best.

Ken at Aero Leather

Considering we sell around 70 jackets a week and even on Fedora Lounge no more than 3 or 4 new Aeros are reviewed per week leads me to assume that not everyone (by any stetch of imagination) posts about their new jacket.
We get on average no more than half a dozen or so "thank you" emails a week .............unually directed to the person who has made their jacket.
I can tell you that one of the two VLJ members wrote several messages of thanks direct to me for her Goldsmith............but she's not as fan of what she calls "the VLJ fan boys"
The other was buying his 12th Aero A-2 and I've never seen him post anywhere outside instagram.

Last edited:

Smithy

That's actually really sad if Headwind have gone tits up. I don't have a jacket from Jay just because his focus has been outside of my scope of interest but it's a loss for all of us when we lose a maker. When that happens, we lose someone with a real and definite passion for flight jackets, we lose another perspective on making these jackets and we lose an option to buy from and the market is therefore a smaller and lesser place for that.

I really hope that Jay and Headwind are still going and that all of this is just some kind of cock up. He was always one of the nicest and politest guys on here and it would be a real shame if his efforts to make flight jackets for people like us have finished.

B-Man2

Couldn’t agree with you more Tim. Jays a very nice guy. I keep hoping that he will pop up here and give us a brief reply on what’s happening at Headwind. Headwind still has jackets listed for sale on EBay, so I’m hoping that things aren’t going too badly for them.

denny@aero

Well the last Goldsmith was finished today at Aero. 25 of 25 of on its way to Portugal.

There was a little delay as Christine our regular A2 machinist is receiving treatment for cancer and Paula wanted to get up to speed with our other A2's before tackling such a limited run. She did a fantastic job on this one and the other 3 she had to do.

ATTACH]22326[/ATTACH] 20190731_110737.jpg

Attachments

• 20190731_110811.jpg
    20190731_110811.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 281
  • 20190731_110710.jpg
    20190731_110710.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 266
  • 20190731_110800.jpg
    20190731_110800.jpg
    994.4 KB · Views: 276

Persimmon

I thought I would post this for those wondering about Jay and Headwind.
He sent me this update.
I hope he can turn it around soon and best wishes are with him.

Hi Alan, thanks for the concern! I am OK but have had some major heath issues in the past few months. I had some problems with my gall bladder and liver that made me very sick. I was on the recovery and then I had a serious motorcycle accident and a bad brake on my collar bone. I am now recovering from that, so currently, I am down to one arm and in a lot of pain.

I will try to respond on the forums. I have not been there since I got sick, but I will try to get on there soon. You can pass the word along if you wish, and I will be back when I get to feeling better.

All The Best,
Jay

B-Man2

I thought I would post this for those wondering about Jay and Headwind.
He sent me this update.
I hope he can turn it around soon and best wishes are with him.

Hi Alan, thanks for the concern! I am OK but have had some major heath issues in the past few months. I had some problems with my gall bladder and liver that made me very sick. I was on the recovery and then I had a serious motorcycle accident and a bad brake on my collar bone. I am now recovering from that, so currently, I am down to one arm and in a lot of pain.

I will try to respond on the forums. I have not been there since I got sick, but I will try to get on there soon. You can pass the word along if you wish, and I will be back when I get to feeling better.

All The Best,
Jay
That's back to back health issues...very sorry to hear about that...nice guy...wish him the best.