• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would you do with this B-3?

Spitfireace

This is where the tear in shoulder is/was. I trimmed down the fleece on the inside down as far as possible down to leather, and then glued a thin leather patch to it with rubber cement. I made cuffs from suitable leather, taking it to a seamstress to put stitching where it would go if it was actually sewed on. Instead of sewing the cuffs on I used rubber cement to glue them on as it would be too difficult to sew on cuffs and not really needed. The original cuffs had been cut off during service I believe to shorten them. I imagine this was a fairly common thing to do when an issued B-3 was too long in the sleeves they just took scissors and cut them off. So now the tears are covered over and the result is that now the jacket has no holes or tears and looks much better in my opinion. The broken zipper could be replaced, but there wouldn't be much point as I wouldn't wear this jacket. Now it is more presentable and I feel better about it.

Spitfireace

cuffs now

Attachments

• 20200229_190441.jpg
    20200229_190441.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 224

Spitfireace

I'm thinking of getting an Aero of this same contract from Aero Scotland so I could have the original and the reproduction side by side. I don't live in a cold enough climate here in Vancouver where I would get a lot of use for a shearling jacket of any type, but I might be moving to a colder climate in the future as I get towards retirement age. The costs of housing around here are too much for me to be able to afford, so it's not a choice as much of a necessity as far as where I would be able to live on a low budget. Might have to go to Saskatchewan and I would get more use out of a B-3 there.

Attachments

• 20191224_203347.jpg
    20191224_203347.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 212